Schoodic Winter Sunset

One of the things I enjoy about winter in New England is the opportunity to photograph the seacoast after winter storms. The combination of fresh snow and a rocky seacoast is one of my favorite things to photograph. This image was taken along the Maine coast at Schoodic Point in Acadia National Park. The waves at Schoodic Point can be very dynamic at high tide, and I was fortunate enough to catch high tide in nice sunset light.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I welcome any critique or comments

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 16-35mm f4 lens, ISO 100, 26mm, 1/10 sec at f 16

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A lovely scene, Ed. The combination of pine trees and rocky coastal line is very signature of Acadia. I have never thought about the snow aspect to it until you mention it and I think it’s genius. I really like the wave crashing into the rocks and the warm light hitting it makes it very special. I also like the clouds and their relative positions in the frame. They nicely counterbalance the rock on the lower right corner and the hills on the right. If you have shot this a few minutes later, would the clouds change color? It looks like it has the potential to be one of those beautiful sunsets. But I know first hand those clouds do not sit still. I would trade the clouds’ position for that though.

Nice shot Ed, I really like overall cold crisp winter afternoon feel of the shot. The warm light on the rocks and the cold snow create a nice contrast and I like how the water, snow and sky all mirror each other. I have mixed feelings about the bright snowy hill on the right. It seems like a minor attention grabber and the least interesting part of this lovely image.

This is a very well crafted image, Ed. Beautifully composed and your processing looks very natural to me. The blue tones in the shaded snow and water add to the sense of coldness and purity. Nice one!

Ed, this scene conveys a very nice sense of place and season. I agree with the others and feel this is very well balanced. I think the shutter speed you chose is just right for creating the dynamic effect you were looking for. One nit that may be personal preference, maybe a little more detail in the shadows? I suspect they are proper for the lighting conditions.

@Dave_Dillemuth, @Blake_Randall, @Adhika_Lie, @Alan_Kreyger Thanks to everyone who has commented, I appreciate your input and help.

@Adhika_Lie “If you have shot this a few minutes later, would the clouds change color? It looks like it has the potential to be one of those beautiful sunsets.” Adhika this view from the end of the Schoodic Peninsula faces northwest (it’s not visible but Bar Harbor and Cadillac Mountain across the bay are hidden behind the snow covered hill), and the sun in winter is relatively far to the WSW. This shot was taken about 35 minutes before sunset, these clouds were gone by then, and I had to shoot at a much different angle to get the sunset color. But from that angle I could not get the waves crashing in a sideways view like this, I have them facing out to sea and backlit waves coming straight in.

@Blake_Randall, thanks for the comment, i will try burning down the snowy hill.

@Alan_Kreyger thanks for the comment, I agree with you, those shadows could be lifted a bit to show more detail. the rocks below high tide line are very dark due to algae, but I could process the shadows a bit better.

these clouds were gone by then

I am often in the same quandary when shooting at the local beaches here. I arrive 1 hour before sunset, get a very good composition that includes a perfect cloud position in the frame about 30 minutes before sunset, and every minute after that I see the cloud drifts away. We get what we are given, I guess. I agree that the crashing wave is a very important part of this composition.

Ed,

Excellent coastal winter image; nicely seen and crafted. Processing is spot on; contrast, colors, etc.

Nothing to be critical of really. I find seascapes like this with the diagonal shoreline to be very difficult to compose. You did well here.

Lon