Winter Sunrise Acadia

I have a self imposed rule that I should post images that are seasonally appropriate. I generally flip over from winter to spring images in April, but I never got around to posting this one yesterday even though I intended to do it. So here is my April Fools Day effort, the last winter image I’ll post from 2019. Although the jokes on me if we get 12 inches of snow next week :cold_face:.

Here is another winter shot from the Atlantic coast in Acadia National Park. Earlier this year I posted a more classic view of Boulder Beach and Otter Cliffs during this same sunrise. But the nice light and clouds from this sunrise lasted a long time, so I thought I would try for a different view of this famous location. I’m curious to see what people’s reactions are to using the boulders to the left as a frame like this, does it feel like the composition is too unbalanced as a result?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critiques or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This composite image with three exposures bracketed for dynamic range, then blended manually using TK Luminosity Masks

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Ed, I really like this scene! It is my favorite of those you referenced and I think you saved the best for last. For me the boulders offer a very nice balance to the sun and sky. Along with the snow, they also offer additional texture and interesting detail. The saturation and overall balance of the warm and cool tones are handled really well and are another very pleasing element. I have no nits, beautiful work!

This is really nice, Ed. The rocks and composition well work for me, although I might burn down the lower left rock a little. I normally don’t go for blue in snow, but with the warm highlights mixed in, I really like the effect. Good stuff.

This is a very peaceful scene, Ed. There is also some sense of solitude which I think is very important for a landscape photograph to work. The big boulders on the left is a great stopper to the frame and I would personally burn that bright rock on the lower left a little more. I think crop wise, I would lose some from the right, probably until after the rock on the LR corner. I would also consider cloning out that snow right in the middle at the bottom edge of the frame.

Wow. Great image. I love the warm tones on the rocks In this cold winter scene. I agree with cropping out the rock in the lower right corner and maybe cropping up from the bottom to minimize the snow on the bottom border of the scene.

This is a lovely scene and, I agree, the best of the series. It’s the most unique therefore creative of the bunch. I particularly like the patterns the snow makes on the rocks. For some reason this image feels tilted but it could be all those cloud and shoreline angles that make it so. Here’s the thing. Shouldn’t the sun’s rays point directly to the center of the camera? If that’s true then it is slightly tilted. Well, I don’t know my physics that well.

@Harley_Goldman @Adhika_Lie @John_Moses @Igor_Doncov @Alan_Kreyger thank you for your input and comments, I think each of you has raised some useful points for improvement. The burning and cropping suggestions help.

@Adhika_Lie “There is also some sense of solitude which I think is very important for a landscape photograph to work” So true, but only because this was shot in February. From June through October this location is overrun with tourons and photographers. In fact the National Park Service recently announced proposed new “advanced reservation parking only” rules for the peak season at Acadia, which previously had no restrictions. Can a shuttle system be far behind :frowning_face:

@Igor_Doncov thank you, it’s my favorite of the series too, exactly for your reason, it required more effort than the tripod hole shot. By tilted, I assume you mean the water/sky horizon. I took it into PS and brought up fine grid lines, and that waterline is level. This is probably a case where the tilt in the rocks and the sloping shoreline throws off our eyes, and it may be better to rotate it anyways. The only part of your comment that I didn’t understand was the bit about the sun, so I thought I would ask.

I know exactly where you captured this lovely image, Ed. I read all of the suggestions and I have to say that I like this as presented. The early morning light is gorgeous as are all the textures in the granite and snow. The sunstar is superb and the clouds fill up the sky nicely. I only have one small suggestion and I only noticed it in the large version, but there appears to be a dust spot along the right edge in the lower section of clouds.

The reservation parking only is going to suck if you can’t get one, but it might help with the hordes of people. Of course I am always in the park before it officially opens and I try to leave before the masses arrive. I will be sure to check that out on their website.

Thanks for the kind comments Ed. The parking plan is still just proposed, (and several options are still under consideration) and would not be implemented before 2020. The article I saw in the Portland Herald had broad outlines on the preferred option, but not complete details. But I’m convinced we will see shuttles there at some point, though it may be a few years down the road.

@Adhika_Lie @John_Moses Thanks for the suggestions on the cropping, burning and cloning of snow. Here is a rework that addresses the issues that were discussed, they definitely help.

1 Like

Ed, I’m late to the game here. The changes made were excellent improvements. Especially the burn down on the snow. A truly wonderful sunrise scene…:+1:

The rework is excellent!

Ed , I loved the first image and I learned a lot from the second one and all the remarks. There comes a day that I can give meaningful critiques myself. Until that time I keep following you all. And of course give comments where I can !

1 Like

Not much to add to what others said other than I like the improvements made in the re-edit. Gorgeous shot Ed.

Ed,

Beautiful coastal, winter image. The rising sun, colors and processing look great to me.

Balance wise, I don’t see the big rocks on the left as unbalanced. Although a minor suggestion might be to crop additionally from the right (eliminating the rock in the LRC). For me, that moves the sun closer to the right side, which may (or may not) give an even better sense of balance and weight. Not sure if that makes sense.

Sun star looks great! Beautifully seen and captured.

Lon

The fact of the matter is that I myself don’t know why I wrote that. It makes no sense to me either.

Rework is perfect. Awesome shot…Jim

Excellent image, Ed. It’s definitely a great choice to present as a transition from cold to warm, or winter to spring. The warm tone on the rocks really ties the image together. Fantastic job on the rework, too!