Pointing the Way

While scouting out a location for a sunrise shot in Acadia these granite rock formations caught my eye and I thought they directed the viewer toward the sunrise rather nicely. In my haste I really did not pay attention to exactly where I was so I will have find this spot again next month if I want shoot something again. I have never noticed any images from this spot so it is unique to me.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 25 mm, f 16 @ 3.5 sec, ISO 100, 3 stops of GND, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Just gorgeous Ed! I recall you mentioning witnessing one of the most epic sunrises on a previous post… how about this one? You’ve been witness to some fantastic skies at sunrise!

Very strong near/far composition; this is well balanced visually. What I mean is that a small amount of space has been given to the sunrise and intense colors, yet it weighs and balances nicely in the overall presentation. The rocks in the water work beautifully as lead-ins in the composition.

What I see as icing on the cake when opening up the large view, are the reflected colors on the rock near the center of the frame. Beautiful colors there; both the blues/cyans as well as fiery sunrise colors reflecting. Awesome.

Lon

Hey Ed,

This is a magnificent sunrise! The detail that you captured, the colour and the composition work well for me.

My only nit and this is very much personal preference would be to clone out the blank bright sky in the upper right so that you have the vibrant clouds stretch from the upper left to the upper right. I feel that the blank sky which appears to be one of the brightest part of the image pulls for a bit of attention.

I absolutely love everything about this image, Ed, it is a classic Acadia scene !!!

Everything in this composition just fits together so nicely. With colorful clouds like this, some photographers might have been tempted to shoot this scene as a horizontal to emphasize the sky, but I like that you chose this more sophisticated approach instead. To me, the photographic story of Acadia is in many ways really about its rocks. And I like how you made them the star of the show here, rather than the clouds in the sky. The glow of color and light on the water and rocks just creates a wonderful mood here, and makes for a beautiful image.

Ilike how the FG rocks lead the eye toward Great Head and that great sky, nicely balanced by the rocks on the right. I would like to see a little detail in those rocks if possible. Great eye to see this comp.
:vulcan_salute:

Stunning work Ed. Your foreground diagonals add a nice balance to the sunrise light on the horizon.

Many thanks to @Lon_Overacker, @Nathan_Klein, @Ed_McGuirk, @Michael_Lowe and @Eva_McDermott for taking the time to leave your thoughts as they are always appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed the image.
@Lon_Overacker: The red in the clouds was pretty intense for all of two minutes. It was one of the colorful sunrises came and went rather quickly. I was happy to be able to capture it.
@Nathan_Klein: I hear you on that section of the sky. I may play around with it and see what happens.
@Michael_Lowe: I actually had a version with a little more detail and it just looked strange to me. I will revisit that and see what I can come up with.

As the title says, the fg nicely points towards the background and the great light! In this way it’s not only about the sunset. I like how the sunset light comes back on the water surface and rocks. I see that the two dark rocks on the right are mentioned, I also thought that some details there could be nice, but understood it was difficult to make it look natural.
There’s a great mood in the image as is.

Thanks so much for the kind words @Ron_Jansen; always appreciated.

Ed, this is a great sunrise shot. The leading line of rock and water work very well, the dark rocks right and then left add interest to the mid-ground and the lovely sunrise dominates the top, to make a fine frame filling view.