First Sunrise

The summit of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia NP is known as the place where you can first view sunrise in the United States, due to its Downeast location and elevation. This image was taken on 6/1/18, when I had a nice sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean.

Talk about overcrowding in our national parks, this one took the cake. Sunrise in early June is about 4:50 am, and I dutifully left my hotel in Bar Harbor at 3:30 am to make the 20 minute or so drive to the summit of Cadillac. I was stunned to find the parking lot was nearly full, and there were literally hundreds of tourists up to see the first sunrise !!!

In order to get a clean foreground, I had to hike about 15 minutes down a trail to find an overlook away from the tourists and selfie sticks. I finished shooting about 30 minutes after sunrise, and when I returned to my car, the parking lot was nearly empty. There must have been quite the exodus just after the sun came up. I still remember photographing my first sunrise from Cadillac about 20 years ago, and the only people there that morning were me and 2 or 3 other photographers. How times have changed…

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Canon 5D MK IV, Canon 27-70mm f2.8 lens at 24mm 1/4 sec at f16

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Manual blend of 4 exposure brackets for dynamic range, using TK Luminosity masks for blending.

Rework, toning down blue saturation in sky, cloning out rock in LRC and the breakwater near the 4th island

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Hello Ed,
This is a great image, I really like the warm light on the rocks and trees. It feels like the morning sun is warming me up. I do feel that the blue sky is fighting for attention with the foreground. I would suggest to desaturate the blue a little bit so that the sky doesn’t take away the viewers eye from the beautiful foreground. I hope this is helpful.

Ed, although obviously I’ve never been up that way, I recognized this icon immediately. And I can imagine the crowds on such a fine morning, so it’s good that you escaped. For me the exposure balance of the whole frame looks great and realistic. I think f/16 worked well with the rising sun. I might offer only two suggestions - one is try a tiny crop from right just to lose that partially clipped rock at bottom right. Also, there appears to be a log or snag(?) along the shore side of the 4th island, maybe lose that too. Just nits but I thought they would make a fine image even better. The atmosphere in the sky and the fresh greenery scattered throughout make for a pleasure to view.

Ed,

We here on the left coast would call this a sunset. Plus I would rather hike in the daylight to find a comp than scamble at oh-dark-thirty to find a comp. At least with a sunset you have a good idea what’s going to happen… Ha! :innocent::rofl::roll_eyes:

A grand and beautiful image Ed, regardless if it’s rising or setting. The glow on the landscape, rock and vegetation is beautiful. I’m inclined to agree with Sigfrido about bring down the blue saturation a little. Not over the top by any stretch, but a good point of pulling attention away from the warm and glowing light on the landscape.

Otherwise, beautifully captured. Makes me want to be there.

Lon

Beautiful, Ed!! Bummer about the crowds, but at least you had the option to get away from them and enjoy the sunrise on your own. Everywhere is getting too damn crowded!!

That is some kind of gorgeous light on the landscape, Ed. The pink granite of Acadia has a glow all of it’s own during the sweet light of the day. I hear you about the crowds; I usually go up and use one of the upper pull offs to get a shot of the rising sun over the Porcupine Islands. I too would dial back the blue a little, but that is just a personal preference as everyone has different tastes. Anyway, this is a wonderful way to start the day.

Ed, I only can echo the previous comments. For me the glow in the foreground is the most attractive feature of this beautiful scene. No nits…well done!

What a view. I can see why people gather here. Below must be what New Englanders call Bah Habah. The back lighting is just wonderful. I do agree with desaturating the blue, although morning light is much cooler than evening light. So the sky may have been close to that blue.

Unbelievably beautiful image. The warm light on the rocks and also on the lighter green bushes is fantastic. Instead of toning down the blue you could crop out the blue sky so you are left with nothing but warm colors.

Wow Ed…that’s some smokin hot light! Tremendous color and the foreground hillside is beautifully balanced in luminosity and color to my eye. The background ocean is to understandably demonstrate less contrast, but I wonder how it would look with just a little bit more…perhaps it was that hazy? Also, I agree with backing off the blues in the sky just a bit as well. I dunno - just my taste coming across. Would be interested in your thoughts.

@Alan_Kreyger @Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov @Lon_Overacker @sigfrido_zimmermann @John_Moses @Jim_McGovern @Ed_Lowe @Bill_Leggett thank you all for your comments, your input has led to some very helpful tips. Sorry for the delay in replying on this post, but yesterday I was out photographing waterfalls, as the rainy spring continues, it has been a banner year for waterfalls, some posts will follow at some point.

I agree with the consensus on the blue sky being too strong, and have reduced blue saturation, and slightly warmed the top part of the sky. @Bill_Leggett I agree about the rock in the LRC, I cloned it away rather than crop it though. That “log” near the 4th Porcupine island is actually a breakwater, but I cloned it away, it is a distraction, good pickup. @Igor_Doncov you’ve got the Maine accent down pat, if ever you are in Bah Habah you should have no trouble ordering a lobstah for dinner. @Jim_McGovern, the background is a bit hazy due to some fog and mist over the ocean, I actually like how it looks, I think it enhances the glow on the backlit trees. A rework has been posted with the original, reflecting all the comments, thanks again for the help everyone.

Rework looks fabulous Ed! Thanks for taking the time!

I’m late to the thread. I love the re worked image and you did a great job of capturing tranquility even though you were so close to the chaos!

Your repost works well for me too, Ed. I foolishly lost sight of the scale thinking that jetty was a snag. And I like that you kept it uncropped, as the wider view is more pleasing.

You nailed it with the rework.

Sweet job on the repost, Ed. Glad you took the time for the rework as this is a gorgeous backlit scene.