Scott Falls, Upper Peninsula, Michigan

My first post here, so I hope I’m doing this correctly. I’ve posted the original 3 image hdr along with the final cropped processed photo . The original image was too much info and too busy but I saw a photo in it which is the crop version. Thoughts and critiques are welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Thoughts on composition, colors and/or how I cropped the image

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 3 image hdr processed in photoshop and cropped. Fujifilm XT3, 16-55mm lens, @ 30mm 1/3 sec, f11, ISO, 160,

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. @RobertaKayne
2 Likes

Wow, beautiful scene for sure! I’m not an expert, but I wonder if you cropped out too much from the scene? I think the portrait orientation is good, but maybe include the pool and a bit of the trees above the falls? By using my hands as makeshift frame, I really like it. But that’s up to you. Everyone sees things differently.

Welcome to the NPN group! I’m familiar with the area. I grew up in WI and had a cabin up in the northwoods. Your photo takes me back there. Thanks!

1 Like

That’s a beautiful water fall, I like the vertical crop you did but I also feel that it crops out a bit too much. I agree with Barbara, I would like to see a bit more of the trees above the falls along with the pool.

1 Like

This is a gorgeous scene. I really liked your crop when I saw it, and I agree it is a nice shot by itself. But after seeing the whole scene I would offer the following advice.

Pick a spot to crop where you keep the right two-thirds of the photo so you have the full waterfall with the pool. You will have some cleanup because there will likely be some branches going out of the left side of the frame you may want to remove. Adding a vignette will help brighten the waterfall and help pull the viewer into your scene. You could also dodge the waterfall a bit to brighten it. I think your colors look very realistic. One last thing is that you might want to clean up (remove!) some of the grass poking up out of the bottom of the frame.

Great shot!

1 Like

Roberta, welcome to NPN. This is a real nice first post. Having gone back and forth between your crop and the full frame, I prefer the uncropped. I even pulled it into PS and played with other crops, but I find myself drawn to the full view. There is a lot going on, but it gels nicely for me. Maybe burn down the tree on the right just a bit? Minor though.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your comments.

1 Like

Thank you Barbara. The other comments agree with you that I should widen the crop. I will work with it more and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I’m glad it brought back some memories for you.

1 Like

Thank you so much Harley. I responded to the group below.

Thank you so much for the welcome and for the great comments @Harley_Goldman @Greg_Vaughn @David_Nilsen @Barbara_Livieri . The system just told me to reply to all instead of individual replies. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on my photos. I am surprised that you all like the larger scene, because, as I said, I think it’s so busy. I will work on the tree on the right. I did look at other crops and kept coming back to the smaller scene, but now that I know your thoughts, I will also look at other crops again as you all suggested. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Welcome to NPN Roberta. I cropped your image to eliminate the busy left side. I think Barbara and Greg eluded to something like this.

3 Likes

Yes, this is pretty close to what I was thinking. I was actually thinking more in from the sides making it more of a 4 x 5, but this is great as a 1x1. Love it! It’s such a beautiful scene.

2 Likes

@Eva_McDermott @Barbara_Livieri Thank you so much! I really like the crop you worked up Eva!

1 Like

It’s interesting to see how much the leaning tree on the right adds to the square crop. But I’m with Harley on this one. I prefer the Garden of Eden look of the original uncropped out of the camera.

I am in the Harley and Igor camp. It is not too busy for me. Nice shot.

@Igor_Doncov @Jim_Gavin Thank you for sharing your thoughts on my photo and on the crop! I appreciate your time and your kind words.

Welcome to NPN Roberta, this is a very interesting first post, thank you for sharing it with us. Making order out of chaos in the forest can be challenging, Seeing the chaos in the field, and composing to simplify scenes is not easy. Fortunately by composing wide here, you left yourself some latitude to make some creative decisions after the fact. I like the simplification achieved in the crop by @Eva_McDermott. To me, the left third of the original image was the most chaotic, and all it did was add fall color. I think there is enough fall color above the falls to add interest, and the left isn’t needed for that purpose. I too am amazed by how the crop makes that right tree so powerful.

Roberta,

Welcome to NPN! And what a beautiful first post to get things going. Lot’s of good thoughts so not much to add other than to say I too prefer the uncropped. Is it busy, chaotic on the left? Or looking at the broader view, is the left simply framing and providing balance. One thing to note, I like the dappled light throughout, including the bits of light on the left.

See the entirety of the pool is also quite nice. I just think this is a picture-postcard view. Beautifully captured and the processing looks great too. well done!

Welcome aboard!

Lon

@Ed_McGuirk @Lon_Overacker Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I appreciate your thoughtful comments on my photo… the full version and the cropped one. Looking forward to participating in the community.

1 Like