Twin Falls

Image Description

I was unprepared for the sheer number of waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula area. One hike had 4 of them in a quarter mile! This one was a little more remote, and I had a hard time getting the best perspective.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I am wondering how I could create a better sense of depth from front to back. I know the flatness is the result of the tele focal length, but I didn’t really have a choice… It was the start of fall, hence the one yellow tree. But I’m wondering if the greens are too intense.

Technical Details

Was shooting with my Sony A7RII from a tripod, 100 ISO, 77mm, f29 and .8 sec

Hi Connie, not sure how we all missed this. So sorry.

This is a terrific scene of the waterfalls. You asked about a better sense of depth. I downloaded your image and cropped about half of the foliage on the right side. This moved the waterfalls to the right, off center and, to me, added some dynamism to the image. Maybe not depth per se, but certainly movement through the scene.

I don’t think the greens are too intense, but I did dial down the saturation just a touch.

I also noticed that the white water on the left waterfall looks a little blown out…too bright. You might be able to fix that in the raw file.

I hope that helps…it’s a great scene that a few minor tweaks might get you what you’re looking for.

Cheers,
David

Like David has said here, the greens are absolutely fine in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to go any more saturated and depending on your taste, you could back off a little, but I wouldn’t do much.

The main issue here is that the falls are occluded by the outcrop of land on the left hand side and just about trimmed off by the foliage on the right hand side. This is one of those situations where you can’t get the angle you’re expecting and to compromise on it doesn’t quite work.

This could be a result of wanting to photograph waterfalls and becoming a bit blinkered about alternate subjects. I don’t know what focal length you had available but I’m really interuiged by the patterns in that right hand side falls (both of them actually).

I don’t know if you could get closer to them to capture some of these streaming bands of water but that would be my instinctive reaction to that scene. Thanks for submitting

Thanks David, and sorry for the late reply - we’ve been off the grid for some time…
Funny how cropping so often helps. I really appreciate your time and comments!
Connie