Gold Falls

There are a ridiculous number of waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula, but this was the most gorgeous. I felt like I was in a trance wandering around all sides, making waaay too many photos of it. This was my favorite image, but it just doesn’t pop with the beauty I saw there. Not sure what it’s missing. Better light?
As an aside, I got into trouble halfway up the right side of the falls on a trail, when I stepped out into the shallows just above the main part of the falls to get a side shot. It was flat there, and no danger, except when I looked down I saw a wee little frog leaping frantically out of my way. I responded with my own frantic dance trying not to step on him, and instead slipped and landed on my back in the water, WITH MY CAMERA. Completely drenched, I struggled to my feet, staring in horror at my also completely drenched camera. No longer in a trance, I was instead mute with despair. This was the first week of a 3 week trip, no spare camera body along, and we were in a very isolated area. Amazon to the rescue! When I realized they could actually ship a replacement to our next campground, the relief was immeasurable. And certainly a BIG lesson learned - never travel without a spare!

Specific Feedback Requested

As I mentioned above, I feel like the image (or processing of it) is lacking the power of the beauty of the scene I saw. It was a grey day, which is good for long exposure waterfalls, but maybe not so good for the drama I’m looking for? I did a fair amount of dodging and burning, but something is missing…hoping y’all can help! Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Technical Details

I shot it on a Sony A7RIII, at 24mm, ISO 100, F20, and o.6sec shutter speed. With these settings I did not have to use a ND filter. Although it was fall, it was early and the golds were just beginning, so I did do some color work to bring the yellows up in PP.

2 Likes

Connie

Wow thats some story! Hope you were ok after the fall. I am still traumatized from my encounter with a bucket full of the biggest frogs I’ve ever seen! I’m pretty sure I did the same frantic dance as you did :woozy_face:

Connie I pulled this image into PS and it looks pretty good! I honestly don’t have any ideas to make this any better. I think the light is fine for this scene. The soft light is working here for this scene. More light would make this scene more dynamic for sure, but, it still works with this light. There is a very slight yellow tinge, but other than that in terms of the processing this looks decent. I feel there’s a slight tilt of the waterfall to the left. Maybe clone the boulder out in the middle of the water right before waterfall, but i’m not seeing much else. You did a fine job here!

DT

Wow, that is a really beautiful scene, Connie. Your processing puts it over the top. Well done.

Well thanks DT & DB. Somehow it just falls flat for me…but I appreciate your time and consideration!