Scrub Peanut Thief

Sometimes I put some peanuts on a feeder tray out back to get some action shots of both stellar’s and scrub jays that seem to have an intense love for them. I think they eat some right away and cache most of them in the ground. (I hope I’ve placed this in the right category since it’s not actually showing the peanut tray to cause it to need to be in the “human and fauna” category)

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the aesthetics of the bird even though the nearby background is pretty busy. Should I have gone the trouble of masking and obscuring the background to pop the subject more?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 300mm, ISO 3200, cropped to 2820 x 2042, Photo AI

Great color, details, and action, Dave. The wingspan is showing very nicely.

Hi Dave,

I don’t think it needs to have all that done because it looks really good as it is, the peanut thief stands out very nicely.

If you really wanted to, you could clone out part of the near limb that appears to go into it’s head, that’s the only part that seems a little off, but that’s kind of minor as well. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

Love the shot even more since it’s a peanut in it’s mouth :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think that’s better. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, me too! :slight_smile:

Really nice job on the cloning as well, Dave!

Love it! :slight_smile:

I like the re-post with more open space for the jay to fly into. Excellent flight shot with the wing position and detail. The peanut is a nice bonus. Are they really this blue? The ones in the PNW are more subdued. In any event, the blueness of the background seems to compete with the jay and tends to draw my eye.

Hi Dave
You did a great job of making a Jay look like a worthy photograph subject. The coloring, wing feathers, eye contact and peanut are very nice. The branches are ok, but the second posting gives the Jay more open space.
Peter

Wow! Lovely sharpness and DOF on the bird, the latter due to the big crop. I love the IQ we can get these days to allow big crops. Excellent clone job on the branch.