Sculpted # 2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This scene is another intimate landscape of the different rock formations along the Ammonoosuc River in the White Mountains of NH. The place is amazing with it’s myriad rock shapes that have been carved and forged by the flowing river. It is a place that we will return to on our next visit to the White Mountains.

Specific Feedback

How do the highlights on the rock look to you? I didn’t rotate the CPL all the way as sometimes I like a little sheen. Anything else you notice please feel free to mention it.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 150 mm, f 11 @ 1/5 sec, ISO 100, Kase magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Oops, here is the one I should have posted.

1 Like

Ed, I do like the light sheen and the cross shape of the fast moving water. Otherwise it is mostly luminance changes throughout the image. Have you thought about a mono version?

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts @Rob_Sykes ; always appreciated. I do have a B&W version that I liked as well. I probably should have thought to post it to for reference.

Yes Ed, I d love this photo both in color and in B&W. The editing work is perfect as you always do, it is very difficult to find something that can be improved. May be the distracting diagonal white line in the bottom rock, or a bit of less white in the shining rock in the middle right? May be they are just what you like!

Ed, this is my personal comment on your Mono photo. You have lost the depressing dark green / brown in the photo. For me, the Mono is grand.

Ed, I have to chuckle, because my initial idea for a comment was “fixed” by your posting of the "true version, with the slight crop off the top. (Eliminating the dark area in the upper right corner.) The smooth and interestingly shaped rocks are great and yes, I think the extra sheen helps emphasize their smoothness. I like the curvy rock edge in the lower half. It sure does look like a fun place to explore compositions.

Ed, there is a lot going on in your image that keeps my attention. I especially like the multidirectional flow, while the bold rock in the middle part anchores the composition aptly to my eye. The subtle colors in the original version make it more interesting in my opinion.

Well done! I think both versions are strong, but my personal preference is for the B&W version.

I love the composition, tone, and drama.,well done. If I would edit this, I would crop the image, maybe in B&W. Just a thought.