Sculpted + rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a scene I captured in June along the Ammonoosuc River in the White Mountains of NH. Mike and I were hiking the trail along the river when we spotted these wonderful geological features carved out by the unrelenting movement of the water. Even though this was on our last day in the area we found an additional three or four compositions that we liked. We are definitely going back to this location the next time we head up to NH.

Specific Feedback

I am pleased with the image, but if you notice something please feel free to mention it.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 55 mm, f 11 @ 0.4 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Ed: Cool formations indeed and your SS captured the water perfectly. I can see this could be a target rich environment. Really nice extraction. >=))>

2 Likes

Ed, I’m thoroughly enjoying the water worn shapes of the rocks. Especially the “cat’s head” between the two branches. Certainly looks like a fine place to spend a lot of time exploring views.

2 Likes

Oh, this is gorgeous. The sense of how the water has eroded the rock is so strong. The only nit that catches my eye is that light, cool toned triangle of rock along the left side of the frame. My eye just keeps fixating on it. Perhaps warming it and reducing the exposure/lights just a tad would make it less prominent.

1 Like

Ed, very nice picture you got here.
II also saw the lion’s face straight away.
I agree with bonnie’s suggestion.

1 Like

Many thanks everyone @Bill_Fach, @Mark_Seaver, @Bonnie_Lampley and @joaoquintela for your thoughts and suggestions; much appreciated.

@Bonnie_Lampley: Thanks for catching that. Not sure how I missed that. It always pays to have an extra set of eyes. I just decided to clone it out. Here is the rework.

Hi Ed - Actually, that wasn’t the bit I noticed. I was talking about the bigger triangle right above it. That’s the bit that I edited.

1 Like

Oops; thanks Bonnie. How did I miss that! :thinking: