Sea Stacked w/Revision + B&W Version

Revision from suggestions:

B&W Version:

Original Post:

Bandon Beach, Oregon.

There was a bit of haze/smoke in the air as the sun was moving towards sunset. I saw these overlapping sea stacks with differing light and decided to compress the scene with a medium telephoto lens. This is one of a very few images where the smoke/haze works for me in color. Normally I go to B&W for smokey scenes.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

280mm, 0.4 sec @ f/22, ISO 100.

2 Likes

I would have never guessed that this is Bandon. My guess would have been somewhere in the Southwest. I really like the design of this image. I downloaded it because I thought the shape that forms the sky could use some color. One thing led to another and this is what I ended up with. Some or none might be valuable to you.

Woah, stacked is right. What a looming presence they have and the scale shows well with the wave in the center. The compression the long tele provides works well to make things seem of a piece if you know what I mean. As if there isn’t much separation between these giants. However you timed the light to hit the wave and the rock worked perfectly. I don’t mind the pastel sky, but I wonder if there could be just a little more contrast finessed out of the rocks. I know it was hazy, and you should keep that element, but maybe play with a little luminosity masking to see how you can constrain some clarity. Worth experimenting with I think.

I never would have guessed this was Bandon Beach. I was thinking Big Sure Beach but knew that quite wasn’t right either. I really like the criss crossing waves in the foreground and of course the one wave that is crashing against the huge sea stack with light glowing from the top of it. I also like the small dash of light hitting the dark foreground sea stack but the real star is the soft orange glow on the farthest sea stack. I like the balance of this and the composition works well. I do like what @Igor_Doncov did to the sky although I think maybe he went just a bit too far but it showcases that a little bit of warmth in the sky improves the image IMO.

@Igor_Doncov, @Kris_Smith, and @David_Haynes thank you for the great comments and suggestions.

Igor, that sky is really tough to tame…I did some work evening out the light, as I noticed there was some gradient-like halos where the sky and rocks meet. But I did not go too far with the color (I hope)…

Kris, I tried to bring out some more detail in the rocks…I also cooled down the whole image just a tad.

David, thanks for your thoughts. I hope the sky is warmed up enough.

Revision posted above.

Cheers,
David

David,

I like your vision and concept here, compressing the scene with the longer lens.

I agree with you that color was the right choice in this situation. I do thing the hazey ocean air still presents a little of issue preventing detail in the rock, but then again this is more about design - and light than anything else.

I do like where Igor was taking this but agree that color up top went a little far. There’s a nice compromise in there…

The beach and surf is a nice added element to this. Great job making the best out of the conditions by changing up white might normally be captured with the sea stacks.

Lon

David, I like your composition based the overlapping elements a lot. It gives me a nice sense of depth and being there. The sunlit detail of the waves in between the rocks makes all the difference to my eye.
The second version works better for me, it shows more colour contrast between the cooler shadows in the foreground and the warmer bright area in the distance.

1 Like

I don’t know, David. The compositional form of this image is so strong and unusual in the way the long lens has compressed the depth of field. Really, very strong. I guess I’m in the minority (of one?), but I feel the colour is a distraction. I mean, it’s the first thing I noticed and it felt off to me. My first thought was maybe work with the colour but I’d really like to see this as a black and white tonal composition. Of course it would be a different image entirely, but I think it would heighten what is so strong about it in the first place. Well, you know what they say about opinions - it’s worth every cent you pay for it :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, @Kerry_Gordon, I do appreciate them (and would buy them for a dollar! :slightly_smiling_face:) (Old movie reference…)

I just happened to be working on a B&W version of this. I had intended to shoot mostly in/for B&W this trip, but sometimes the colors were too much to pass up. Anyway, I have posted a B&W version up above and here:

Cheers,
David

While I might consider bringing up more contrast, texture etc., etc., I find this version so much more powerful because, for me, it cuts to the bare bones of what makes this image so compelling. Wonderfully seen.
P.S. Is the cheque in the mail?

1 Like

Oh how old I feel now to have Blade Runner referred to as an old movie. Hey, at least it’s in color! :laughing: