Seascape Stacks + rework

I was attracted to tis image by the leading lines eventually leading the eye to the rays.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comp and processing especially as a B/W

Technical Details

24mm f/13 1/250 iso 100

3 Likes

Nice bit of sun ray work there, Mario. Bandon is my absolute favorite place on the Oregon Coast. I like the B&W treatment, and the leading line of the water. Well done.

Oh wow, this is terrific. Leading line is right! Gets me right back there to the stacks and the sun rays. I like the deep blacks as well - helps establish the time of day really well. That lowering sun through the cloud layer is quite dramatic and the processing is in keeping with that. My only suggestion is to maybe move to a 4:5 crop to the left. It may be more effective with the relatively empty far right removed. Just a thought on a really powerful image.

Thank you @David_Bostock @Kris_Smith . Ill try the crop. Yes Bandon is an amaing place, must go back the the whole coast, what an experience.

Wow, another great image from your trip. You must have been over the moon with this trip Mario. I love the leading line that takes your eye right to the sea stacks and the suns rays. You have pretty good sharpness from front to back and you handled the bright conditions in the sky well. You were blessed with some terrific conditions. I also really like the B&W treatment you went with here. Curious how the color version stacks up to this one.
I agree with @Kris_Smith that a crop on the right edge might help with some of the negative space particularly since the leading line is so far to the left in this image. Also, I’m not sure it’s just an optical illusion but it appears that there is some lens distortion (curvature) on the horizon in the sea stacks. The stacks over to the left by Wizards hat look like they could use some clockwise rotation but the stacks on the right edge look like they could use some counterclockwise rotation. In other words, it curving up on the left side and down on the right side. Super easy fix if it’s just lens distortion. Very small and mostly even un-noticeable nit picks. How’s the camera? Is it working yet?

THanks for the comments and suggestions @David_Haynes . I did the crop and do like it. I tried to use chromatic aberration checked but I dont believe it fixed it

I am going against the grain in that I like the uncropped version better. I think the overall balance of the horizonal image is more pleaseing.

1 Like

Mario,

I’m with Don on the original I think. Great choice on the b&w here! Love the contrast throughout and of course the lead-in line of the sea foam left by the receding wave… just makes for a very strong composition.

Is it just me? or does this have a very slight CCW rotation? ie. not level? Could be an illusion, and very nitty at that.

Beautifully seen and captured.

Lon

Wow. This really has a high creep factor. The best images from Bandon do. There is something really sinister going on here. The composition issue is that it’s left centric. I lower perspective to spread that foam from corner to corner could have helped with that . I don’t think the crop helped with that because you placed the sun in the very right corner and also the vast broadness has been lost. There are strong horizontal lines everywhere so a horizontal aspect ratio works best. It’s a moving image.

I don’t usually have time to get into landscapes, and have little to add to the excellent comments that are always here, but this one gabbed me. That has to be the most wonderful leading line I’ve ever seen, and a gorgeous sky, with beautiful tonalities everywhere. But I do see a few things that could be fixed, although the image is already gorgeous.

There is a dust spot in the UL and a strange halo along the top edge with a couple of brighter areas. There is a subtle halo around the Wizard’s Hat – possibly both from Highlights adjustments. Maybe there is another way to get the dramatic effect?

The horizon is not level, and possibly with some barrel distortion in the center.

Here’s a quick level that looks good to me, pulling down a guide from the top ruler in PS to see it and rotating. Then I did a slight barrel distortion correction to pull down the apparent slight bulge at the center of the horizon.

But now the horizon feels high on the left, although a guide shows it level. Frustrating. Maybe go halfway in between??

I like the composition in this image. The way that you used the leading lines of the waters to lead to the rays is effective. I feel like the clouds in the upper right hand corner appear a bit too dark and I would be tempted to brighten the Wizard’s Hat (?) to better match the adjacent sea stacks. Maybe you added a vignette - if so, it just feels too strong for my tastes.

Thank you, Max!

Leading lines indeed! I prefer the uncrossed image. My only suggestion would be to lighten the dark in the sky top center; Just a bit distracting, and my eye keeps going to it. Beautiful image.

This is really beautiful, Mario. And I think the black and white really adds to the calmness of the scene.