Seascape

Taken in Yahats OR on a beautiful evening.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

30mm f/13 1/160 iso 100

Actually I think think was Bandon OR not Yhats

Mario, this is a beautiful sunset scene. The reflections in that still flat water are gorgeous.
Yes, when I saw this I thought it was Bandon, with Wizard’s Hat Rock there on the left.
You must have been thrilled to be there and experience this.

How I would critique this image, Mario, is that you have four potentially beautiful images: 1. From the middle to the top, 2. From the middle to the bottom, 3. From the middle to the right, and 4. From the middle to the left. As I say, I think they’re all beautiful but, in my view, they’re not cohesive as a single image. To me, zeroing in more specifically on what you want me to be looking at would improve the image. Again, in my view, there’s too much going on and I find my eye doesn’t know where to go. I have done a crop to give you an idea of what I’m thinking. That being said I think the choice has to be made in camera. I couldn’t find a way to crop that really works.

Mario, this is indeed Bandon, Oregon. Great sunset action here. I think your comp does a nice job of balancing the left rocks with the right sunset in the sky. I could wish for more room on the left side so that you had all of Wizard’s Hat in the scene, but that’s not really a deal breaker for me. There might be a hint of haloing around the rocks, particularly on the left, but it’s pretty tame.

Well done.

Thaqnk you @Mark_Muller @Kerry_Gordon @David_Bostock for you input. This image below was another shot taken.

1 Like

Beautiful scene Mario. What stands out to me is the reflected light in the foreground water and the nice soft warm light in the right portion of the image. I love the balance that @Kerry_Gordon was able to showcase with his crop eliminating some of the stacks on the left side that don’t really add much to the scene. Although I really like the image, removing a couple of stacks does seem to help. I also like your second posted image. Not as dramatic a reflection as the first image but nice balance otherwise and not quite as cluttered with sea stacks either. Makes me want to go back. Thanks for sharing this Mario.

I would say that the second picture is a much better composition but there is more to a photograph than that and the side lighting in the first image is far superior to the rather static light in the second. The ideal: the lighting of the first and the composition of the second. Easy for me to say!
I know you haven’t worked on the second image but, again, it is much stronger when everything that doesn’t directly contribute is removed. In this crop , the two main sea stacks serve as a frame for the sunset while, coincidently the tall sea stack and the large one on the left both happen to fall on the thirds.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Haynes for your input. Kerry @Kerry_Gordon I do like the distillation in composition in your last rework here. Simplifies the scene. I do still have trouble doing that.

Mario,

Wonderful beach, sunset, reflection image. I think this is beautiful as presented. And, just goes to show and demonstrate how each individual reacts differently.

Beautiful as presented, and here’s why; what I see. A bit subtle, but I like how the clouds AND their reflection form a horizontal “V” and contained and surrounding that “V” you have a cool>warm transition. In other works, the “V” or arrow pointing to the right has the arrow with all the warm sunset colors, where as the inside of the “V” or arrow are the cool colors.

Maybe to some of Kerry’s point and other images within, the left half are the blues and the right have are the warm yellows-oranges.

And IMHO, are connected beautifully. It’s how we “see” a sunset anyway… so yup, there are many scenes that can be carved up here, but I think this captures the experience quite well.

Wonderful processing BTW. Excellent work!

Lon

Thank you @Lon_Overacker . Glad you enjoyed the original image.

Hi Mario,

What a stunning location! I’m planning a trip to the Oregon coast in October and I am excited to see it in person.

You had some beautiful light both in the sky and in the reflections in the water and you have captured and processed it well.

I’m a little torn on the composition though. I kind of see two different compositions. The left 2/3 of the frame has cooler tones and larger sea stacks while the right 1/3 of the image has much warmer tonality and smaller and more distant sea stacks. I’m curious what others think, but I feel like the composition is a little unbalanced.

Overall this is still a very nice image.

I love the reflection in your original post Mario. The composition of your second post is more balanced. In both cases you captures an amazing sky.