Seal island

Taken June 2018

Sony a6300 16mm (crop sensor), 1/60 sec, ISO 100 edited in LR

Any and all feedback is welcome. I had a hard time centering the seals on the rock in this image. The lower left side of that rock adds a little weight. Every time I moved the crop to the left it just looked off, so this is what I have settled with!

IG: upperleft_jeff

I like the nature story here, of wildlife in their environment. But I consider this appropriate for the landscape forum given how small the seals are in the image. I love the mysterious foggy look in the mountains, and the green vegetation is very lush looking. Nice processing of color in this image, it is very vibrant, and adds life to the image.

This gets very subjective, but I would prefer to see a panoramic crop, where you crop away the white foam along the bottom edge. I think such a crop would place more emphasis on the rock.

2 Likes

@Ed_McGuirk excellent suggestion. I can already envision that looking really nice!

Definitely like the cropped version as the foreground sea foam while adding a sense of environment was too powerful in the scene and competed with the seals for the image. I think these colors are beautiful. Is the water that color?..it blends so nicely with the surrounding grasses. My only challenge is identifying the seals readily…they’re just a bit small in this larger scene, but it really does add a sense of their world and space.

1 Like

Beautifully situated rock with some dynamics from the water, and added mood from the low clouds. Like @Jim_McGovern mentioned, it’s really nice to see the seals in their environment!
Seeing the suggested crop by @Ed_McGuirk I’m liking that one best as the seals and their rock stand out a bit more.

1 Like

Jim’s comments echoed my own. I’ll add that I like that touch of fog at the top.

1 Like

Hi @Jeff_Anderson, in my opinion it’s a balanced composition. Great image, thanks for sharing.

1 Like