Seal Philosophy 101

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Captured in a moment of sheer bliss, this Fur Seal seems to be pondering the finer points of ‘Seal Philosophy 101’ on the sun-drenched rocks of the Tasman Peninsula. With a flipper that could well be mid-thoughtful stroke – if he were a bearded philosopher – it’s as if he’s musing, “To fish or not to fish? That is hardly a question.” Indeed, with a belly full of the ocean’s bounty, a warming sun overhead, and pals nearby for a splash or a snooze, life’s pretty grand. You can almost hear him thinking, “Ah, this is the life… now, if only I had thumbs to snap a selfie.”

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

209 mm at ISO 1600 and 1⁄1000sec at ƒ/8

Nice moment for sure, but what I’m not sure about is why this is in Everything Else. Probably it should be in Wildlife unless it’s a captive seal. Can you let me know. Thanks.

@Kris_Smith My fault Kristen, you are correct should be under Wildlife. Thanks :pray:

I moved it - no prob at all.

1 Like

Thanks Kristen much appreciated! :+1:

Nice pose and a good plateform to perch on.
You may try to extract some details from the blacks.

Hi Saundie, love the pose with the seal arching up like this. Environment is interesting too with the stark rocks. Agree with Jagdeep about tweaking some more detail on the seal. Nice capture.

@JRajput @Allen_Sparks
Thanks for the feedback! Will take a look at those dark areas :+1:

Love the pose here Saundie and it makes me think he’s calling out, but mouth is closed. The portrait format was a good choice and he stands out nicely from the rocks. My only inclination is that I’d like to bring up the exposure a bit, on the seal anyway, perhaps just the shadows would do it. Nicely timed capture!

Thanks, Jim! I tried to bring out more from the shadows, but there is very little there. I appreciate your feedback! :pray: