Sedum Processor

This caterpillar (about 2.5cm long) was ready to pupate, so it was eating Sedum voraciously last week, as could be seen by the speed with which the “out tray” was formed. The species is Parnassius bremeri, a very beautiful butterfly which I hope to photo nicely one day in Korea.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + 105mm macro, f18 1/100 ISO 400

Topaz Denoise. Selected BG, and lowered Highlights in PS. Added a touch of vibrance to the out tray.

Super shot! I think the whole length of the critter is in focus. Such interesting colors. Caterpillars are incredible when you think of it - they’re basically an undifferentiated bag of goo and scientists still don’t understand them completely. I hope you get to shoot the butterfly as well. Such a rich black - I like how you’ve rendered those, but some of the light spots in the bg could be toned down just a little. Funny about the out tray.

1 Like

Awesome, Mike. Great macro shot.

Can’t wait to see the resulting butterfly, Mike. For such a small caterpillar, I not sure I would have even seen it. Great catpure.

Nice shot and a wonderfully descriptive title. I had never heard the term “out tray”.

Thanks @Kris_Smith @linda_mellor @Jim_Gavin @David_Bostock for the comments. Kris, it’s fascinating, isn’t it, (though not surprising) that the larva will include in its goo the imaginal discs, sorts of blueprint, for all the later adult body parts. The wonders of nature!

1 Like

You can actually see one on my NPN photo above, Linda - but it’s kinda small!

1 Like

Mike, what a great capture! I love the colors of him. Excellent shot. Looking forward to photos of him in the form of a butterfly!

Super detail!! Hope you get to shoot his “next life”.