Sequoias in Fog

I took this image earlier this year, the simplicity of the mature Sequoias surround the younger Sequoia is what drew me to capture this image. I also wanted to give the sense of calm and serenity because that is what I felt while hiking in these conditions.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1/13 sec at f/8, ISO 64
30mm (16-35mm f/4)
Nikon D850 on tripod
No flash, no filters

@sigfridozimmermann

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

Welcome to NPN Sigfrido, this is an excellent first post !!!

What I like most about this image is that I think it is both simple and complex at the same time. The fog and snow go a long ways towards simplifying the image. Yet the the arrangement of trees as they recede into the fog adds pleasing layers of complexity to appreciate. I also like the contrast between the sharp texture of the near trees, and the diffuse softness of the trees in the background. This image does an excellent job of capturing what must have been amazing conditions to experience. Well seen and executed, it’s a wonderful image, I look forward to seeing more of your work !!!

1 Like

Thank you so much Ed!

Hi Sigfrido, welcome to NPN!

This is a very pleasing image. I really enjoy the arrangement of the objects here although I do wish the young tree did not intersect with the big tree. But I don’t see how you would arrange it otherwise judging from the arrangement of the triad of sequoias. I think the processing is spot on. Looking forward to see more, too!

1 Like

Hi Adhika, I wish to that the tree did not intersect with the large Sequoia. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Sigfrido,

This is an outstanding image! I don’t think I could have said it any better than Ed. I just love the fading presence of the trees; the foggy mist just doing wonders here.

My suggestion would be to enhance that sense of disappearing or receding softness. While it’s clear that the second tree on the left is starting to show the haze of the fog as the scene starts to progress towards the bg. The primary tree up front also has a little bit of that low-contrast look due to the conditions. My thought would be to try and create a little separation between the two trees. I could see increasing the contrast (every slightly) and boosting the red sat (every so slightly) on the primary tree, then let the fading begin as the eye makes its way thru the scene. Just a thought. Let me know if you would like me to post the suggestion. I mean, that may not be your vision.

Lon

And welcome to NPN! We look forward to your images and participation.

1 Like

Incredible atmosphere and layers to this photo. I find the placement of the center tree and the overlapping tree to be slightly distracting. Not sure what can be done there other than perhaps create more separation there by darkening the tree slightly or Obfuscating the back tree a bit more.

1 Like

Incredible composition and framing. The juxtaposition of the tiny tree surrounded by the titanic sequoias really tells a story. And the way you handled the fog in your processing really adds incredible depth to this image. I only had one small nit. I thought the very closest sequoia could benefit from a boost in contrast (maybe by pulling down the blacks on the section of the image). I think this would add further depth to the image with each tree getting less and less contrasty the further it is away from the viewer.

1 Like

This is a fabulous photo! The composition is remarkable. Well done!

1 Like

The misty background and framing make for a superb image.

1 Like

Love this image pretty much as is. There is one thing that nobody has mentioned. The two trees visually look like fairly continuous wide verticals. Yet that smoothness is broken up at the bottom on the left with intruding snow. If I looks closely at the bottom the intrusion makes sense and is attractive. But it I look at the big picture it feels like a bite has been taken out of the tree. I think you’d be better off it the base of the two trees were similar. I’m not sure if that makes sense to anyone else.

1 Like

In my younger days (Yeah, long long ago!) my work required that I hike almost daily and in almost all weather through some remote Sequoia groves. This was before I picked up a camera, so my reactions were often as much personal and visceral as visual. For me the monarchs were at their best in the fog at any time of year, and especially with snow.

The really nice thing for me is that your image evokes those visceral feelings beyond the mere visual. There’s a decided atmosphere that helps the viewer almost feel the cool air on cheeks and hear the squeak of snow underfoot. Sure there’s some nostalgia in my reaction, but I think others will sense those same experiences from this image.

2 Likes

Hello Hank,

Thank you for your comment. I’m really happy that my image can evoke those feelings for you. It was my first time seeing Sequoias in snow and fog, it was magical.

Hi Lon,

I’ll give that a shot. Thank you.

Another great shot really compelling minimalism with bold shapes taking centre stage and the composition forcing your attention on the small misty fir tree between the trunks of the others.

1 Like

Pretty striking image @sigfrido_zimmermann! In a situation like this, I would probably try a few different variations as I think just a slight shift to the left would have given a better balanced image. Love the quality of light here!

1 Like