Serene

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Do you feel calm?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Leafless cottonwoods line the south shore of Patterson Lake. The lake is shrouded by early morning-lit clouds and mist, rendering it invisible by layers of snow and ice covering its surface.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; EF 70-200mm @ 125mm; f/15 @ 1/60 sec. +0.67 EV. ISO 100, Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Enough color in the sky to determine it is early in the morning? Anything that should be removed from the image? Anything missing that would enhance the viewers experience?

1 Like

A beautiful image for the pastel colors and simple, elegant composition. Very nice. I guess I could criticize nature for not providing a more symmetrical arrangement of trees.

Thank you @Ronald_Murphy for your comments. I have no control over the planting and arrangement of trees. The previous few days the mist was not there and the lake was covered with hockey players. I was blessed with more days on site.

I thought this was B/W at first. Then saw the light tones in the sky. Maybe a little more if you want to bring that out?? This reminds me of some of my family photos. There always seems to be one or two kids that seem to get out of line – like the one laying in the snow on the left, and the very little one out of line at the very right. That might be a shrub and not a cottonwood. Anyway, yes, it’s calming, though it also made me smile. Nice image.

Definitely calm, peaceful, serene. Such delicate pastels. Wonderful composition.

Thank you @patrick6 @Chris_Baird for your kind remarks. I chose not to emphasize the color in the mist because it would look artificial.

1 Like