Shining Through

Original Post

Re-Post

I thought that I had successfully submitted this photo earlier, but after several hours I don’t see it on the submissions page. I apologize if I created a duplicate. I took this photo in my favorite nature preserve. The main reason I took this photo is to study/evaluate it’s features and learn. …(Backlit) Light shining through the leaves …Backlit shadows on the leaves …Detail sharpness (focus) on the front leaves (single exposure) …Bokeh

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m interest in all of your thoughts. Can you share: …How do you approach photographing backlit subjects? …What are your thoughts on backlit shadows? This photo has soft and hard shadows. …Can you comment on the placement of the FG leaves within the frame. (composition) …Is the WB too warm? Thank you for all of your help!

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV | f5.6 | 1/320s | ISO 100 | ef100 Macro (not a macro shot - too lazy to change the lens) Process using ACR and Ps

Hi David,

Backlit leaves always look great because they have the glowing effect. I feel like the placement of the leaves could be improved by cropping a little off the right. I would go in far enough to exclude that leaf on the right edge that is almost in focus. This will shift the subject leaves more towards the center and cause them to fill the frame more. The white balance is also a bit too warm, it could be cooled down -5 or even -10 probably. Everything else is working great here!

Hope this is helpful!

Your friend,
Eric

David,

Who doesn’t like backlit leaves?!? I know I love the glow and always keep an eye out for worthy scenes. And this is most certainly one of those. This is quite lovely. The light and glow on the leaves is just right and I really like the bokeh of the background - so well done on the selective focus and depth of field.

I’m with Eric on a crop. Not only the element in the LR, but just a slightly tighter view both from the right and bottom. But not so much you lose the nice background.

I’m not quite sure what “backlit shadow” means, but to your question about the various dark areas, I think they’re all balanced nicely with the lighter, blue-sky patches. Colors, luminosity are all balanced nicely, in my view.

Another aspect here, I like the shadows of the leaves on top of the backlit leaves. That’s always fun and I think a nice addeded element to view and enjoy this scene.

Excellent, love it.

Lon

@Eric_Bennett; @Lon_Overacker
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my photo. I made the changes you suggested and re-post it under the original post.

As to my question about backlit shadows. The fact there weren’t any thoughts shared answers my question. But, my question was referring to the leaf in the very front. It has a shadow with clearly defined edges projected onto it from the back.

Thank you for your help!