Growth

sun’s light travels on
nature’s harmonious paths
illuminating

Specific Feedback Requested

Any ideas/reworks are welcome. Here to learn.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Slight cloning, denoise, vignette, local softening of background.

Ben, this image makes great use of backlight to add drama. The light on the front leaf is marvelous. I also like the repetition of the other leaves fading off into the background at the top. Your control over depth of field is also very well handled.

For tweaks, first I would suggest slightly warming up the shadowed background. In real life shadows are normally cool toned, but I think you could warm the background slightly here and it would be more appealing. I also think the leaf in the LRC is so bright that it competes visually with the center leaf. I would burn the leaf in the LRC to keep the viewer’s attention on the center.

Lovely image. The repetition of foreground and background is very satisfying.

I wonder how it would look with the lower / lower right leaves darkened/ possibly desaturated a little more to really emphasize the main feature?

I’m finding the lower right slightly distracting, particularly due to the lack of separation.

My favourite abstracts are when its apparent nature has done the work and the photographer’s role has been to notice, frame and capture. This is an excellent example to my eye.

@Ed_McGuirk and @brian15 Thank you for your feedback and ideas. I attempted to follow your suggestions and desaturate the LRC leaf and warm the background shadows. Not sure if I got it or not. Previously I tried burning the LR leaves down - but it looked super unnatural and IG-ish, so I undid it. I really like the idea about warming up the shadows - not so sure about how to improve the LRC without overdoing it.
Yes @brian15 the ‘noticing’ is where it is at for me - the processing is interesting to learn - but the noticing out in nature is more deeply impactful to me.