Short-billed Dowitcher?

If anyone has a better ID, please pipe up.

David Schoen and I went out to a not-too distant coastal estuary in hopes of hitting the shorebird migration this Wednesday. We found quite a few birds, with the preponderance being this, the Dunlins he’s been posting and Spotted Sandpipers, with a number of other species present in smaller numbers.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Should that out of focus mass in the lower right be removed?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/6.3 (moved accidentally-I would have preferred f/8), 1/2500, iso 640, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 14.3 MP.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

These peeps are so hard to ID sometime and I am not gonna lie, I am pretty bad at that. I really like the eye level shot here and I like the pose and the look it is giving you. Very nicely processed, Dennis. If it were mine, I would consider burning the rock on the LL corner just a bit. It is some sort of a faux vignette.

Excellent detail, head turn, and BOAR (bird on a rock). The out of focus water as a background works well here. I think the out of focus rock in the right corner actually balances the image but I agree with Adhika that perhaps some type of vignette would focus more on the Dowitcher.

Really nice image Dennis. Low level perspective, nice angle of light, excellent detail, super head turn. I would remove the OOF rock in the lower right.

A very nice look at the dowitcher (I think you’re ID is correct); better than the one I got this week. I’d be tempted to remove the rock on the right-pretty easy to do with the new content-aware and you could see which version works the best.