Side of old gas pump

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The ag museum in Union Gap is a wonderful source of photographic subjects if you like vintage farm equipment, etc.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMKIV; 100/400 at 400; 400 ISO; 8.0; WB: auto; 1/2000th; original horizontal rotated left 90 degrees. Slight crop and some spots removed.

Jim, you kind of wonder what the long term service was on this old pump. Hard to imagine how many years of service it may have seen. The extremely tight edge to edge crop makes this work as an almost unsolvable puzzle IMO… :+1:

Paul, I didn’t even think in terms of a puzzle. I am sure, well not sure, but there is maybe someone somewhere who could solve it, but not I. Thanks.

1 Like

Too bad this is a non-nature subject, Jim, because it’s a wonderful abstract. I’ll have to check out that museum the next time I get out that way. It sounds interesting.

Dennis, It is kind of a funky mostly outdoor kind of place with lots of old farm stuff and exhibits. They have a website: centralwaagmuseum.org.

Oooh, that is very nice peeling paint. I love the color, too. I could see brightening it a bit, although you may intend it as is to reflect the old-time feel.

This is so cool Jim. I love patterns, the colors and the contrasts here. The touch of pink on the sides really adds a lot to it. Almost like some kind of ancient writing in exposure to the sun or something.

1 Like

Ed, Thanks.

Bonnie, I did lighten it a bit. but perhaps should have a bit more. Not sure. I like both versions. Thanks

1 Like

Jim, congrats on the EP here… :+1:

This is fantastic, Jim. I love the story it tells: old gas pump, peeling, becoming obsolete and peeling paint looking like trees or marsh grasses. This would make a wonderful book cover!
ML

Thank you Paul and Marylynne.
Dennis, Many thanks for the EP. I really appreciate it.

Check out the work of Paul Klee. He has paintings that look like this. Great work.