Grady, North Carolina General Store and Gas Pump

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

For the last 50 years, I have passed this long closed General Store in Eastern North Carolina, just before the Outer Banks. Over the 50 years it has slowly aged- the fuel pump rusting, paint peeling. I think back to how this was once a small community establishment.Does the image concur up the same impression I feel with each passing?

Specific Feedback

Do you get the same feeling I do when I pass by?

Technical Details

This image was taken in the 1980s with a Pentax 67 and Ilford XP2 Super 400 film. The negative has been scanned and digitally printed. ISO 400, but all other data lost to history.

1 Like

To me, how this place is presented in your image, evoke some sadness and a longing for times long gone.

I like a lot your b&w rendering and find your crop good but at the same time I would wish to see more of this place in the image.

Paul, this brought back some long ago history for me. Seeing that the scene was from the state of NC adds to the connection for me… :sunglasses:
As a very young person I was sent to Salisbury NC to live for a couple months with grandparents while my parents packed up our goods in East Northport LI, NY. for a relocation to So Cal… :nerd_face:
I remember going almost daily to a general store very much like this for a sugar fix. It was those tiny little wax coke looking bottles with some kind of sugar drink in them. Along with that recall was of course chasing fireflys at night in the same area… :+1:

This is a wonderful image, yet also very sad to see the loss of yet another rural life connection from a previous era. The B&W works best for me here and the singular gas pump is a real plus. Not sure if on the original you can make out the last price per gallon setting was… :+1: :+1:
The only change on this particular posted image might be to crop in from the right slightly to eliminate the BG pole? and building overhang … :thinking:

Memory lane, for sure, Paul. I didn’t grow up in NC, but have lived here for the past 19 years.

I agree with @Paul_Breitkreuz suggestion for a crop off the right. I so remember those wax coke looking bottles. You are really bringing back memories now. Not only were those little General Stores handy, but it was a gathering place to talk with neighbors.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind comments. I have another image which encompasses the entire store, but it also includes a second pump. Comparing the two, I liked how the image looked with one rather than 2 pumps.

1 Like

As the 50 years have flown by, what was once a 2 lane road is now 4 ferrying tourists to the beaches. Waterparks, old courses, Dollar Stores, etc. I can almost smell the inside of the store in its heyday. I have never seen anyone else stop and explore the site, which is sad. Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion. Little stores like this were the social gathering place for small communities. You really have to search for them nowadays, at least in the Northeast where I live.

1 Like

Black and White works great !!! I remember Esso gas. back in the 1950s …
Really nice Tone and really captures a time in history !!!

Appreciate your feedback. These scenes are slowly disappearing. Paul

Wonderful – I love it!! The screen door askew is a wonderful touch and the CLOSED sign is the icing on the cake!!!

I’m amazed it is still standing and not trashed. It has aged naturally and gracefully, if sadly. What a wonderful place to explore with a camera!