Fill 'er Up Please! :-)

Color Version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at a historic village in Stockholm, Sweden in July of 2018.
I like it because all of the elements around were from the 1920s & 1930s era, maybe even the bicycles?
The large ball behind the bicycle tire was made out of concrete, I have no clue what it was for.
I do recall that there was a lamp post directly behind the gas pump so I composed the shot so the lamp post was completely hidden by the pump except for a little of the post showing through the glass so I cloned that part out.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback and comments are much appreciated! :slight_smile:
Which do you prefer, the color or the B&W? The B&W was tinted slightly with a very mild sepia tone.

Technical Details

Sony a6000, 18-105 f/4 lens, 71mm, 1/125s, f/6.3, ISO 100, Ps for all processing including lens distortion correction using transform>perspective, color correction using Selective Color Adjustment Layer and very minor cloning out lamp post in glass cylinder of gas pump. No cropping.

1 Like

Merv, another trip back in time with this old pumper. My father-in-law could have provided plenty of information on these units. He serviced MANY types of gas station pumping devices over the years. I assume the sign, Standard, is the product type like Regular or Ethyl, and not Standard Oil?
The B&W provides a bit more vintage feel but I like the color-ful one better… :sunglasses:
I wonder if that big concrete ball was merely a road blocker of some type?.. :disguised_face:

Hi Paul, I had the same thought so a quick search shows that it was the “Standard Oil Company” market in Scandinavian areas from 1890-1939.
And if I have this right, they only had one grade during that time, at least in Scandinavia.

It’s the same for me as well. :slight_smile:

I think you’re correct about the road blocker, maybe it was the equivalent to modern day bollards.
Maybe they wanted one that they could move around so they made it ball shaped, then anchored it in place with a wedge or cup?
Or, maybe it was just a conversation piece. :smiley:

Thanks for the comments, Paul! :slight_smile:

Yes, thank you. I could not think of the term for those items of moveable traffic restriction units… :sunglasses: