Low On Petrol

Low On Petrol - B&W

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This old truck is a left behind item from the mining era in the desert areas in and around Joshua Tree National Park. This truck is located near the old Wall Street Mining stamp mill. Not sure what the exact unit is, however, it has a Flat Head V-8 engine in it.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Photographed at sunrise near the Wall Street stamp mill.
Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 150mm - Velvia 50

Paul, a great example of past glory that has been “thrown away.” Technically your depth of field is sharp in the whole image. I did not know anything about your camera until I just googled it. How old is it? There must be a story there as well. At first, I thought the B & W told the “old” story. However, I like the colors in the truck. To me, it seems the landscape is competing and distracting from the subject. I tried a tight crop that left a suggestion of the environment but did not take from the truck. That is my reaction, and it may not fit the message you have in mind. Thanks for sharing this with us.

1 Like

Paul, I love old vehicles like this. History recorded on film. I love the condition of the tires too! Not sure make and model, but I find it very interesting. Somebody bought that new and was right proud of it at the time.

1 Like

@Barbara_Djordjevic @Shirley_Freeman thank you each for your reviews and comments on this scene.

Hi Barbara, I cannot say for sure as I bought it second hand over 20+ years ago now. I still use it to this day alternating between it and my just as old MF camera a Mamiya RB67 ProSD.

1 Like

A testament to the value of what was tried and true years ago.

Paul, there’s an intriguing warmth to the color version while the b&w emphasizes the feeling of abandonment. It leave me wondering if the miners walked away suddenly, leaving what may well have been valuable vehicles behind.

1 Like

Hey Mark, thanks for review and comments here. Yes, hard to say what took place in the final days of the mining melt downs in the areas. It was quite some time before this area became a National Monument. And, was very long wait before it transitioned to a full on National Park.
One of the interesting things scattered throughout the park are the “Tank” locations. These sites were enhanced water runoff areas that were natural flood plains that got damned or semi-damned up for water storage’s. To name a few:
Oak-Squaw-Twin-Ivanpah-White…tanks.