Mr. Toad's Last Wild Ride

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In contrast to the previous abandoned mining truck I posted this one is a flat head inline 4 cylinder and the previous one was a flat head V-8 unit. These trucks are about 1.5 miles apart but still in the same general area of the same Wall Street Mining site.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Another sunrise take from J-Tree NP.
Mamiya RB 67 ProSD - Mamiya 37mm - Velvia 50

2 Likes

Really great find and it’s an even better image of this old truck, Paul!! :slight_smile:

Looks like a little TLC, a rebuilt engine, radiator, hood, doors, windshield, transmission, wheels, tires, rear end, seats, etc., etc., etc., it could be back on the road again in… a year or two! :smiley:
The wiring looks good though! :smiley:

But seriously, it really is a great find and image, especially with the surroundings! :slight_smile:

@Merv this truck is much easier to get to than the previous unit I posted. I’d say this is a half mile in and the other 1.5 - 2.0 miles in. Additionally, there is actually an old ranch style structure near this one and the other one is just outside the Wall Street stamp mill… :nerd_face:
The very arid desert environment is actually a bit kind to the rusting demise of these vehicles… :sunglasses:
Thank you for the review and comments here… :+1:

1 Like

I absolutely LOVE finding these kind of images. The whole scene is wonderful and compliments each other. I get excited to find an old truck or car. Love everything about this! Well done.

1 Like

@Judi_Hastings
Thank you the comment, Judi. There are remnants of several vehicles in this remote area of the park, but only 2 or 3 are intact enough to bother with taking any images of them… :cowboy_hat_face:

Wonderful image!! Fun and whimsical on the surface, but when you stop to look it reveals a very real history that I find hard to imagine.

And it’s wonderful to meet another admirer of Mr. Toad!

1 Like

Hi Diane, thank you for taking time to review this image. I did feel the Mr. Toad angle fit the old vehicle… :clown_face:
As a side note, I had a lady in N.C. a couple months back buy 75 post cards of this scene. Can’t image anyone needing that many cards beyond maybe a gift shop for a resale item maybe… :sunglasses:

I’m sure enjoying your photos of these old trucks. I can see someone falling in love with these images and ordering them for postcards. I live in NC, but I’m not the one that ordered them though! :upside_down_face:

Thank you, Shirley. I mentioned on another image that I spent a few months in Salisbury NC in route to So Cal as a very young lad… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Paul, I think that I remember this pic and title from a previous post. The light, your framing and the juxtaposition of the old truck and the rock pile create a fine statement on our place in the natural world.

I really love these old vehicles, and esp love angle and setting here. I tend to like tighter crops and wonder if it would work to take a little off the sides and sky. The mid-ground area where the front of the car visually meets the earth distracts me because the tonal values are close together and it merges together. Wonder if some dodging would help create some separation? The light on that old metal is so beautiful, I just want to keep looking at it, and do! :slight_smile:

@Mark_Seaver @Joolz_Hau …MArk & Joolz, thank you for your comments on this abandoned mining truck… :sunglasses: