Mr. Toads Last Wild Ride

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a recent image from the area near the Wall Street Mill (ore stamp mill), in Joshua Tree National Park. Although the Monsoonal Cloud cover was pretty heavy there was a a stream of light as the sunrise broke the horizon.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Wista DX III 4x5 - Schneider APO 120mm lens - Kodak Ektachrome E-100

2 Likes

Paul: Oh this is fine! I love the light and the subject and the clouds are just the right complement to the terrestrial features. Wonderful image. >=))>

Wow, Paul, this image almost jumps off my screen. Beautiful light, colors, and great detail from your 4X5 really make it, as well as the unusual subject being slowly reclaimed by nature.

@linda_mellor @Bill_Fach @Jim_Lockhart thank you each for reviewing this image… a high 5 :raised_hand:
I failed to mention in the 1 mile radius of the Wall Street Mill there maybe two or three other vehicles that were all abandoned mining rigs from that era. It was long before Joshua Tree was even a Monument and of course not too many years ago now finally designated as a National Park. … :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

It’s no wonder you have this as one of your favorites. It is not only technically excellent, but also, (I, being quite cynical), a fine representation of how we “trash” nature but nature ultimately heals itself. Speaking of how we tend to dump stuff wherever we wish, I am heartened by what appear to be clean surroundings. I don’t seen any other evidence of us except the vehicle. (Hopefully, that small cylindrical object near the front wheel is a twig and not a cigarette). This does look familiar. Have you published it elsewhere? In any event, I love it.

@Jim_Gavin I sincerely appreciate your review and comments here. I totally agree about natural areas remaining as clean or as tidy as possible. So much so my brother and I carry a trash bag on hikes as a dedication to helping out where we can. To be honest I’ve traveled to Joshua Tree NP more than any other site over the years. I wish I could say it is pristine, to a point it is, however, there has been abuse over the years including graffiti. Thankfully the park and volunteers are all over issues like that and take care of business ASAP.
Again, thank you for the input. I have scanned the originally 4x5 up close and no cigarette butts that I could see. As far as posting this I have a few from the same area over time but this image is only a month or two old now.

I love this image. Love to shoot old rigs, and I tell you, if I came upon this old rig out there….i would have been SO excited. It seems so out of place, making it all the more unique. Seems they got a tish lost and then the car broke down, and there it stayed. Wonderful!!

Judi, thank you for your comments here… :+1:
I use the TPE program before every outing and could see the sunrise was going to place some nice light where I needed it. I was a bit worried the Monsoonal clouds would dampen the light but it allowed a nice pathway on the scene in the end… :sunglasses:

Paul, this is a beauty (and familiar, since I think you’ve shown us this derelict previously). The lighting is glorious both on the ground and in the sky. As a minor nit, the blue in the ulc seems too strong. Ahh, the joy of white wall tires… :wink:

Hey Paul :slight_smile:

The title cracked me up with this one! I wonder if the hood used to have “Toady” across it before it rusted away. Is this near the famous “Toad Hall” by any chance? :smiley:
This old truck really does look a lot like the original “Mr. Toad’s Last Wild Ride” truck.

Seriously though, this truly is a mark of history. I read somewhere that JTNP decided to leave this and a few other artifacts as markers of the history of the old mine and how it might have been for people working there all those years ago.
I’m sure that in time this will completely disappear.
The good news is that folks like yourself have done very well at preserving it in photographic images that will far outlast everything else.

I can see why this is one of your favorites! :slight_smile:

@Merv thank you the review and comments here… :+1:
It gave me recall to my first visit to the original Disneyland in Anaheim, Ca. back in 1955. Back in the day Disneyland had special days marked off for certain corporations only.
My dad worked for Pacific Bell (Ma Bell) and that group with a few other corporations would have the place to themselves.

Mr. Toads Wild Ride required the highest grade ticket. That was the “E” Ticket" as it was back then. All that went away and they just put a blanket price on the entry and you just stood in the many lines than to get access.

Anyway, I figured this looked like it might have been Mr. Toads last ride one way or another.

BTW: oddly, I had a lady named Susan who bought 75 post cards of this truck that I shot with a Short DOF lens. She was from North Carolina and I think for that many cards maybe she had a gift shop she was selling them out of?.. :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks, Paul! I absolutely love hearing stories like this! :slight_smile:
I certainly remember “Ma Bell” from my younger years :open_mouth:

I can easily see why a gift shop owner would want to stock post cards of scenes like this, seems like everyone enjoys old rusty trucks (like me for example) :slight_smile:

Thanks again, Paul!

What a great slice of Americana Paul! The light is outstanding and I love the crisp details in the large version. This makes me wonder of the abandoned vehicle’s story and how it got to it’s final resting spot. No suggestions from me.

@Ed_Lowe I appreciate your review and comments here. JTNP has truly evolved over time with mining, ranching, as a Monument, and ultimately honorably raised finally to National Park status… :sunglasses:
Like you and your brother photographing many locations in the eastern states my brother has traveled with me to many western areas over the years.
Although he is not a photographer he enjoys our outings and time together…:raised_hand: High 5

There is a related article about the hike to Wall Street Mill by a Monica Humphries in “Business Insider”. It is dated today, 12/16/23. It probably popped up on my email because I googled Wall Street Mill on 12/10.

@Jim_Gavin I recalled you mentioning that you had looked on line for the Wall Street Mill and found the article in the Business Insider.
As an update today this image was published in the Inland Empire Magazine February 2024 edition released today. I’ve been fortunate as they have published each of the 4 images I’ve sent them to date starting in 2018… :cowboy_hat_face:

Congratulations. Thanks for notifying me.