Side View

Description:

During our two days in WV this past October we were able to spend a few hours at Douglas Falls. Although it was our first visit to this lovely waterfall I think we came away with several keepers. This is a two image stack for DOF.

Back in the late 1800’s Davis Coal and Coke Co had a mining operation along the North Fork Blackwater River. The acids from making the coke drained into the river and polluted it causing the orange coloration of some of the rocks.

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24mm, f 16 @ 1/6 sec, ISO 800, CPL, MLU, cable release & tripod

Specific Feedback Requested:

I am relatively pleased with the image, but if you notice something feel free to mention it.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite?
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ed, this is very nice, it’s an unusual point of view for a waterfall image. But I like the way you have the foreground tunnel of rocks leading to the cliff on the left, and the partially obscured view of the falls. It’s kind of teasing the viewer about what the falls looks like, making me want to peer around that cliff to see what awaits. It adds a bit of a sense of mystery for me. I think the foliage and the colorful rocks are interesting enough elements to fill out the rest of the scene, in the URC.

Ed, I vaguely remember someone (else??) mentioning a nice falls, close to, but not in Blackwater a couple of years ago. Is this the same one? I like this view with the orange stained rocks coordinating well with the yellow trees on the other side. The side view of the falls through the rock crevice works well.

Thanks for the kind words @Ed_McGuirk and @Mark_Seaver; glad you guys enjoyed the image. I wanted to try something a little different with this lovely waterfall rather than a head on shot; of which I took a few from downstream. I liked this vantage point for all the reasons you mentioned: the placement of the fall foliage, the orange rock and the way the rock funneled the viewer to the falls.

@Mark_Seaver: This is the same one. I think I prefer this waterfall as you can capture several different views. The road to get there though is pretty rough and littered with some rather large and deep potholes. The locals do not advertise it. I am assuming to keep the traffic limited.