Sierra Aspens

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I got this shot on a leaf peeping trip to the eastern Sierra. We saw LOTS of Aspens that trip! D500, Nikon 35mm lens, hand held, 1/100th, f/11, ISO 100, cropped to 1680 x 791, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I should love to give some comment, Dave. but as a true amateur I can say that I like those colors, the contrast and the bit haziness on the mountains. It’s a very well made landscape for my eyes.

Dave,

A grand view of autumn aspens in the Eastern Sierra. I think this is just about the only vantage point with this type of sweeping view (unlike those found in CO and UT!)

I like the back lighting in the aspens and the mix of greens and yellows. Just about peak time!

I would agree with Ben on the haziness. Time of day and conditions aren’t helping here - and if this was last fall, or even the fall before that, the air in California was downright terrible these pas couple of years due to all the fires - so not much you could do here. I think even the angle here that a polarizer may or may not have helped.

I like the comp and framing. Just wondering if you could dehaze the mountains a bit, bring in some contrast, etc. NOt exactly sure what to suggest.

Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Lon

This is a nice pano from a location I know well. I think you did a commendable job given the conditions.

The haze is a little strong. If you can, select only the background mountains, reduce the blue/cyan and then add a little contrast there.

Thick haze and wildfire smoke has been a bane for the past two years. Hopefully, this year will be better.
-P

PB
I took your advice and messed with the distant mts. I think it helps too. Incidentally, it was October before last that I took this shot. Seems like I got it looking west right off the side of Hwy 395 a little north of Mono. Is that where you’re thinking?

@Dave_Douglass That looks much better, sir.

That’s the spot. The large peak in the background is Dunderberg Peak.
-P

Repost a big improvemenet! Thanks for taking the time Dave!

It sounds like this may be near Conway Pass. The rework is definitely an improvement. This area can also be nice in late autumn when the leaves are a bit sparser.

Dave, I love fall scenes so I couldn’t resist a little editing. Tried to cut the haze a bit and adjusted tones and color of aspen a bit. Not necessarily better, just different.
Cheers

@Igor_Doncov. The place name is actually Conway Summit.

Since this is on Hwy 395 just north of the summit, it can be very dangerous parking on the highway shoulder.
–P

Summit or Pass. Is that an important distinction here? Is there a Conway Pass in this area to be confused with this place?

Maps show it as “Conway Summit”. I believe in accuracy in place names.
-p