Sierra Bones - +crops

When I came across this in the Sierra a week or so ago, I knew it had to be photographed. Cliche maybe - the old skeletal bones of a plant lying on a bed of granite… but so cool!

Crop #1 - intermediate:

Crop #2 tighter crop:

Do you prefer the wider, or the tighter where the ends of the branches are cut off?

Specific Feedback Requested

As always, all feedback, critiques and suggestions welcome. I’m especially interested in which crop you may prefer, and why. These were all processed independently, so there are some slight tonality and contrast differences.

Also curious as to the b&w processing. B&W work was done mostly in ACR - Thank You @David_Kingham for your tip and video!

Technical Details

Nikon D800e, 28-300mm @62mm f/11 .4s iso 140. This is a 7-image focus stack in Helicon focus.

1 Like

Lon, I love all three of them but my vote would go to the third shot as being the most balanced. In the first image, the crack on the left side of the image pulls my eye and is a distraction that doesn’t need to be included in the frame. The second image is good but I feel like there needs to be more frame included underneath at the bottom but I also like how the branch tips along the top are visible. Maybe if you included more canvas along the bottom of the second image, it would feel more balanced to me and possibly overthrow that third image. Not sure and would have to see it to make up my mind.
In any case, this is a terrific subject that’s beautifully processed and although I don’t know what the color version would look like, this just screams Black and white to me. Hard to pass up on something like this when out in the field. The wood is so expressive and reminiscent of a skeleton or a bunch of bones.

Terrific image, Lon. It’s between the 1st or the 3rd. They tell me different things. The third is about composition and has the attraction of all fractal. The repeated forks produce a sense of well being in the viewer. The fact that the branches aren’t bounded by the frame in the 1st image, however, give the branch a sense of ‘animus’. By that I mean it feels as though it has life. It feels as though it’s extending from the lower left and moving forward. The first image encourages the imagination much more than the 3rd. So my vote goes for number 1.

Number 2 is a crowded version of number 3.

The counterpoint between the lines of the wood (and in the wood) versus the multiple dots on the background is just great.

1 Like

The first. When I take the time to really look at each, nos. 2 and 3 do not hold my attention as long as the first.

For me, it’s the 1st vs 3rd. There is something more immediately striking about the 3rd, but overall I think I prefer seeing the way the branches extend and trail off in the 1st.

Lon, I vote for the 3rd image. I like the branches extending past the frame and I also like the bigger contrast between the branches and the background that you did compared to the first image.

Real good one, Lon. The first all the way for me. Nice space and breathing room and brings the background more into the scene.

1 Like

Hi Lon, for me is the 3rd one.
Although the branches are not complete, in this case it’s not bother me at all.
It also eliminate the black “line” on the left of the 1st frame that attracts the eye.
This a case of “less is more”.

1 Like

This is a wonderful subject Lon, and so very well suited for B&W. For me, the left edge of the original has some visual tension with the dark arc that peeks into the frame. Your first crop helps with that along with giving a very pleasing aspect ratio, and at first that was the one I preferred, but when I saw the tighter crop with the top branches extending beyond the frame, that one strikes me as the best. It also places more emphasis on the primary diagonal branch. Such a lovely image, and I love how the texture of the background contrasts so nicely with the form and texture of the branch.

1 Like

Wonderful subject and perfect for B/W! All are compelling but for me, the last one wins – it feels more balanced and I don’t feel the small tips of the branches are contributing a lot, maybe because they get a bit lost in the BG textures.

1 Like

Great image Lon. Nice textures and B&W conversion.

I like the dendritic movement of the smooth branches against the rough background. I prefer the 3rd one. It feels more balanced and I like the sense of cohesiveness it brings by clipping the edges of the branches. In the first one there is a greater feeling of separation between the branches and the background. In the 3rd one they feel more connected. Well spotted.

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback and great comments. Much appreciated.

I too go back and forth between #1 and #3. The first, I do like the space and room for the branches - or tentacles to leave the impression they’re reaching out, growning, extending - thinking like “The Blob” or something that is taking over! The downside of the first is the crack in the rock onthe left; a bit of a distraction.

The 3rd is better for showcasing the skeletal remains of the plant and follows my guideline: "If you’re going to cut something off, do it on purpose!). Or… I think Igor said it more meaningfully:

Thank you @Igor_Doncov , @Diane_Miller , @Harley_Goldman , @David_Haynes , @Jack_Krohn , @Jim_Gavin , @David_Mullin, @joaoquintela, @Ben_Horne and @AndreDonawa !

1 Like

Lon, the first version is fascinating to me. I enyoy to explore all the delicate details and textures. Your composition thereby always keeps my attention within the frame. Despite being obviously dead wood, the image brings the branch to life for me.

In the other two versions the branch seems to be shut in within the rather tight frame. The original versions allows for enough room to my eye.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

3rd one all the way Lon. Nothing more to say.