Silhouetted Egret

Shot this egret last night silhouetted - intentional - visioning a half decent B/W

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Shooting technique
processing

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any visual flow

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

I like this shot a lot. Really attractive pose, composition, lighting, and B&W contrast. I wouldn’t change a thing. I think it’s wall-hanger.

2 Likes

This is gorgeous, Karl. I think B&W is an appropriate treatment for this lighting, too. The only thing that I could wish for is a calmer water; and that is not necessarily a better picture, just a different one with a completely different mood altogether.

Classy BW. Pleasing tonality. Maybe 1/2 stop brighter in darker areas?

I also love the B&W treatment with the backlighting. The pose is great. Personally, I’d keep the dark areas like you have them because I think you need a lot of contrast in a shot like this. Critique-wise, I see some noise in the front wing that I’d work on, and I think I’d prefer a little more room on the left so that the crop is a little less boxy. Overall, very nice.

1 Like

Stunning capture, Karl!

As mentioned, I think B/W was a perfect choice for this shot. The light on the feathers is sublime.

Wonderful as is IMO. Congrats!

1 Like

The angle of light combined with the egret’s pose was perfect for this image, Karl. Absolutely stunning flow of light. For my taste, your exposure was perfect. Very well done.

1 Like

The light and pose are just gorgeous. Personally I don’t like the darkening you did on the water, it looks overprocessed to me. Other than that, I really like this shot!
Grt, Ingrid.

I know you like smooth backgrounds :slight_smile:

Thanks

Did that - good suggestion - thanks

Thanks Ingrid

Did you mean the water in general or the top half requiring more texture

Congratulations on achieving your vision. I love the backlighting and exposure, along with the pose with all those graceful curves. Super!

1 Like

Excellent black and white treatment; really brings out the details in the whites. I like the pose and water splashes. Well done.

1 Like