Sing a Song

This little Song Sparrow, I think, was hopping all around in the bushes and on the fence singing and watching me for the longest time! Gave me quite a few cute poses. I wished I had some food with me because she seemed like she was expecting a treat!

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the crop look ok? I did a vintage filter and slight vignette, any thoughts on that, anything else…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, ISO 400, 300mm, f/9, 1/1000
Slight crop, and vignette and vintage filter, 2nd one converted to black and white

apani.hill

I like the warm colors. The setting has interesting form and texture.

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, I like what you did here especially with all the man made features in the image. Gives it a painterly feel to me. Love seeing the tongue of the sparrow. The colors all work well together.

1 Like

I like the contrast between all the browns and that splash of green. A really eye-catching image, Vanessa!

1 Like

Thanks so much @David_Schoen @Allen_Sparks @Mike_Friel for looking and your feedback. I know it’s not maybe a straightforward nature Audubon photo but I’m glad you like the look! Thanks!

I think the “look” is pleasing but to me there is a problem with the image. I’d like you to try to identify it.

Hi Vanessa
I think the vintage filter and vignette work on the fence and background, but I think the Sparrow need a little more pop and less vintage.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks so much @peter , I think you nailed it. I was trying to figure out what I didn’t like about what I did in post. And I agree the bird is too dark! Thanks for the feedback!

Not just too dark but too tonally flat. It has a lot to compete with against the BG and is too important an element to be secondary.