Sining for a mate

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found him singing away along the Verde River. I liked this because of his perch and having no BG cluttter. I took this picture and then tried to move around for a better frontal view. No dice. Off he went.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R6, Canon 100-500, f/7.1, 500mm, 1/2500 sec, ISO 5000.
LR for cropping and basic adjustments. Topaz denoise.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Pleasing side view with excellent calling pose. Good detail and color. Good composition., Nice work !Excellent job on the processing at iso 5000.

A great singing pose, Charlie, and they usually look best from the side anyhow. I do like the perch with the little tuft of stringy stuff on it and the background is beautiful.

No nits here. Good pose, perch, and background.

Lovely, as said above! There is a slight magenta cast in the highlights – a common bugaboo. The channels in Curves shows the toe of the Green channel not reaching the right edge when the Red and Blue channels do. A quick fix:

Thanks for the feedback. Diane, after your comment, I went back to LR. Very obvious. Redo. Will look at it in PS. The Curves Panel looks different. Added a bit o saturation to the body. Thanks again.

Love the picture and the composition. I agree that the little bit of fluff is charming. Thanks to @Diane_Miller for explaining how to take care of the color cast.

@Barbara_Djordjevic, fixing it in PS was only to illustrate it since I didn’t have the raw file. Guess I could have used the CameraRAW filter to show the raw adjustments even though it would have given limited results on a JPEG. The fix would really need to be done in the raw conversion Basic sliders (as Charlie apparently did) and probably shouldn’t need the curves there.

The rework looks even better Charlie. I liked it to start with, but can see the magenta caste since it was pointed out. I also appreciate learning about the processing side of things.

t
The curves affected the sparrow so I went back to LR and created a BG mask and reduced the magenta with the tint slider and didn’ affect the sparrow. Many different ways to accomplish the end. Thanks everyone for the input.