Slaughter of dolphins in the Faroe Islands - Workshop, really?

Every year, white-sided dolphins are corralled by motor boats into a fjord in the Faroe Islands and are then slaughtered. Don’t support this practice. Don’t run workshops there, don’t sign up for a workshop there. The Faroe Islands is an autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark, and they depend significantly on tourism for economic survival. How can someone who claims to care about nature, as do most in this organization, effectively condone this practice by running a workshop there? Or by taking one? Forget the Faroes, until they stop the practice of dolphin slaughter.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/09/15/1500-dolphins-slaughtered-faroe-islands/

4 Likes

The practice in and of itself isn’t that different from say commercial farming or fishing, in my humble opinion. I think Dolphins being cute and smart creates a much more emotional impact, fair or not. What bothers me is their claim of underestimating the size of the pod. Why did they have to kill them all to figure that out. Couldn’t they just get what they KNOW they typically need.

I absolutely agree and I, as a nature photographer would never give a cent to travel to or support this community/ culture!
They don’t seem to understand that there is much more money to be made as a superunique , sustainable travel/ photo destination in the midst of the Atlantic rather than psychokilling some whales for fun because it’s a tradition. I know this might sound ignorant or even uneducated but I had a close look at the situation for many years and I am convinced there is no good reason justifying the massacre they’re carrying out multiple times of the year.
As tempting as it is, I would NEVER go there as a tourist nor run a workshop there!

1 Like