Societal Constraints

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

…they’re for your own good. Or so they say.

In the last few years, elephant seals have hauled out in numbers, to lounge on the beaches of Point Reyes (northern California), especially at Drake’s Beach. The rangers have to put out orange cones to keep the people away from them. Most of the cones are set back away from the seals, keeping people at bay. For some reason, this fellow (they’re all males this time of year) had his own set.

Specific Feedback

Just posting this for fun and sharing. No critique needed.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 3.40.12 PM

2 Likes

I love the story this tells Bonnie. It is sad that the rangers feel they have to do this to the scenery on the beach nowadays.

1 Like

Looks interesting, as if some parking area.

It is right next to the parking lot. The seals were hauled up quite close because of the very high tide and surf.

I don’t know enough about elephant seals (not my habitat :upside_down_face:) to post a decent comment on this. But to me the photo doesn’t evoke fun, it evokes sadness. Is there no other way to keep people away from them?

I guess fun wasn’t the right word - I have an odd sense of humor.

Actually, the orange cones don’t even keep some (many?) people away. There were a couple of wildlife rangers there, too. They were continually shooing people out of the do-not-disturb radius. :roll_eyes:

The only way to keep everyone away would be to close the road to that (very popular) beach. That wouldn’t fly, I do think it’s good, though, for people to see such magnificent animals “up close” - maybe they will have more care/interest in conservation by having that experience.

Hi Bonnie
Yes, I agree with that totally! If tourists show an interest in something, the surrounding communities will quickly find ways for conservation. Even if only for financial reasons, the end result is that this animal gets to live!
I hope indeed that they will find a different way to protect them, though, this looks quite amateuristic :laughing:
Grt, Ingrid.