Sleeping Giants

It’s hard to pick just one image of trees for this challenge! I love taking photos of trees because they each have their own personality and look so different from place to place and season to season. This is an old fan favorite from Sequoia National Park, not far from General Sherman. The beams of light are real, but the colors are somewhat fantastically edited to give it a fantasy feel. Happy to receive any and all feedback.

Lovely job, Brent. The colors don’t look otherworldly to me and they work very well.

1 Like

Brent, the trunks of the Sequoias stand out well. The crepuscuslar rays angling through look great. While it looks a touch blue, that doesn’t seem unreal to me and it adds a fine touch of mystery, which seems very appropriate for these quiet groves of giant trees.

1 Like

I like the light a lot, I do think it is a bit blue…

1 Like

This is really nice, Brent. It has a great dreamy mood. But it does look too blue to me. I think you can retain the mood if you back off the blues, but that is in the realm of personal taste and preference. Nice imaging.

1 Like

Magnificent trees, and gorgeous light. I agree that there is too much blue, and perhaps cyan. I really like the sun beams.
-P

1 Like

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. I will go back and re-edit this someday just to see what I come up with. I’ve learned a lot about editing images in the 3.5 years since this photo so I have a feeling when I open this one up I will wonder what I was thinking and have to start over from scratch :slight_smile:

Brent,

Wonderful image of the Sequoias. I really like the color combo with the warm and cool colors and of course the sun beams ratchet this up more than a couple notches.

Appreciate you recognizing the “fantastical” colors, but you have complete artistic license and I think this came out beautifully. Only reason to go back and redo this would be if you’re going to put this image in a textbook of Sequoias… :wink:

Great entry for the WC

Lon

1 Like

Very nice treescape with pleasant mood and great light. The colors don’t appear to be very radical to me and the blue tint isn’t surprising considering you’re in the shadows of all those monstrous trees. I like it a lot!

1 Like

Fabulous image. I like the overall blue cast.

1 Like

Really fine image, Brent. The blue tones mix beautifully with the rich red trunks. Great work!

1 Like

A beautiful forest scene Brent. The slight hint of warm light works so nicely with the overall cool color palette.

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker @Gary_Minish @Igor_Doncov @Dave_Dillemuth @Anil_Rao

Really appreciate the kind words! It’s always interesting to me how images like this one work for some but not for others. I’ll let you know if I get in a textbook :laughing: