Light on the sequoias

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is from a visit to Sequoia National Park a couple months ago. It was my first time there so I was mainly scouting around to get ideas for a return trip. One evening I went up to the giant forest area. It was awe-inspiring. I lucked out with some pre-sunset light raking through. As I was capturing this image a ranger leading a group walked by and said something like, “I don’t have to tell this guy, but look at that light!”

Technical Details

f/16, 86 mm, 1/3 s, 64 ISO.

Dean: I just had a similar encounter in Redwoods NP on my first visit there last month. The light filtering through the tops is magical. Marvelous subjects and I hope you get to revisit soon. >=))>

Did you intend this to be in sRGB Colorspace? If so, I think you could use a tad more contrast to accentuate the light even more.

I haven’t been there since I was young boy but I really want to get up there and this makes me want to go soon. Just terrific light but nit harsh at all. I agree with @John_Williams about a smidgen more contrast. Otherwise, this is a great image from your scouting trip. Good luck on your next trip there.

A very nice capture, with the BG well filled – not easy to do there. I have wondered how well the iconic scenes survived the horrible fire.

The contrast feels low here, and the WB a little off. I did a few quick moves with the Camera Raw filter and added a little contrast and saturation.

The OP does not have a profile embedded – This one is tagged sRGB. Looks like your OP was converted, just not tagged.

1 Like

Compositionally I really like this image, and it really sings when it’s viewed at the largest size. There is just so much detail and texture everywhere that it’s a feast for the eyes. That said, I really like what @Diane_Miller did with this. Here edits made this great image even better.

Thank you, @Bill_Fach, @John_Williams, @David_Haynes, @Diane_Miller, and @Tom_Nevesely. Appreciate the comments and suggestions. I’ll revisit the white balance/contrast/saturation.

Dean,

This is beautifully seen and composed. Great job isolating or compressing these trees. There is nice depth here because you included the very near trunk up front and then the receding trees seemingly smaller and then finishing off with the burnt tree. All tied together with the bows of green.

I would agree with others about the contrast, color and missing profile. I really like where Diane was taking the image. Of course most processing (colors, sat, WB, etc) are fairly subjective and so this isn’t to far from being a fabulous image from the giant sequoias.

Thank you, @Lon_Overacker. While re-working the image I realized I went a bit overboard with the Color Grading tool in TK9. Thanks everyone for bringing this to my attention!

Dean, the “verticality” of this view is very strong. Like Lon, I enjoy how you’ve got front to back eye movement from the trunk on the right into the distance. The burned stump adds a bit of intrigue to the viewing.

Thank you, @Mark_Seaver.