Sleeping Lady Mountain

What technical feedback would you like if any? Would clarity improve if you turn off stabilization?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any. Interested also in whether to crop the bottom.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DS R, f/6.3, 1/2500 sec., !SO 250, 148 mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The light on the snowy mountain is wonderful. And I think the aspect ratio you chose works great with strong horizontal elements in this scene (content dictates aspect ratio). I also like the small chunks of ice in the lake, it creates some nice layers within the scene.

By clarity, I assume you mean the haze above the mountain, which is due to moisture in the air. In that case image stabilization being off or on has no impact on the appearance of the haze. The IS only affects image sharpness from camera shake (handheld, etc). The rest of the image is sharp, so IS did it’s job in that regard. But you could use Lightroom Dehaze applied to just the sky to reduce the haze. However, I like the appearance of the haze, and personally would leave it as is.

I would prefer a slight crop from the bottom, to eliminate the small strip of water along the bottom edge.

There is also a large dust spot in the sky near the left edge that I would clone away.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I agree about the haze. The dust spot appears to be on the sensor and I’ll have to get it cleaned after the pandemic calms down a bit (not knowing how to do it myself). I do have another pic of Sleeping lady I took a while back that’s may add something in the foreground – steps in the snow emphasizing the distance to Sleeping Lady. BTW, the chunks are mostly ice. I meant to include it for comparison and forgot. I’ll add here. Canon 5DS R f/7.1, 1/320 sec. ISO 160 100mm. Knowles trail-Sleeping Lady-signed-10|690x460

Hi David,

I also like the soft light on this scene and the soft yellow hues complimenting the blues. I would personally crop the bottoms that the icebergs reach the bottom of the frame. I think the haze is fine as it gives depth to the image. You could remove it with the dehaze slider in camera raw but I would leave it as is

1 Like