Small Forest Grove

I had planned to take my larger camera and 110mm lens out to a local municipal park a few days ago, but the camera batteries were completely dead. Serves me right for turning off the auto shut off setting. So, I went with my little camera with 35mm lens. Not the best for ICM of trees, because the sky gets in there too quickly.

I came across this small grove in late summer brown grass and darker forest in the background. I spent a lot of time trying to get something that might work. After a bit of processing work, I kinda like this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

35mm, 0.8 sec @ f/8, ISO 160.

2 Likes

Nicely done, David. This one has a bit of a graphic feel to it. The contrast between the trees and background seems nicely balanced. Whatever you did in post works well for me.

For me, too. The dark BG feels unique in a tree scene. I like the degree of blur and the distribution of the trunks.

I find this one has a great strong graphical nature to it. Nice composition. I tried a different crop to bring more focus on the graphical side, with the contrast between the trees and the background. Just a different view. Always enjoy your ICM trees.

David,

Wow, this one is quite bold and striking! The dark bg and the contrast really make this one stand out. Love this!

Can’t say there’s anything I could suggest for improvement. I really like Andre’s version as it really tightens up to it’s core. I don’t think it’s better necessarily, only that both versions are awesome and like with many ICMs, there are many alternatives with crops - and processing. Your original is a little more mellow with the inclusion of the foreground and lighter colors.

Love this! Great job. You are becoming quite the master!

Lon

Thank you @linda_mellor, @Diane_Miller, @AndreDonawa, and @Lon_Overacker for your kind comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Andre, I really like what you did with the crop. As you said, it gives it a more graphical feel. I intentionally shot this with the idea of having the foreground grasses encircling the trees, to show the impression of the reality that the grove was in fact surrounded by summer grasses. I really like your crop so now I have two images that say somewhat different things. :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

Hi David, fantastic image with some great contrast between the background and the the brighter trees. I really like the vertical lines formed by the trees and how the luminosity in the background changes from dark to light. Nicely done!