Small stream

Hey all,

Today I went hiking and scouting for new spots and this is one of the spots I found.
Found it when hiking up but the light was very harsh, so when coming down I tried my luck.

Colour may be a bit off because I forgot I had the camera on L (jpeg) not raw cause I lended it to my wife.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

As always any feedback its always welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition wise I opted for a closer scene from the first shot, the first ones were more open and captured more of the stream (still looking more at them).

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Exposure blending at 0 and -3 stops for some spots of sun that latter i burned.
Polarizer on.
2.5s f/9 ISO 50 @ 44mm

Thank you all,
Cheers

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jferrao88

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

The color looks pretty good to me, despite the rookie mistake of loaning the camera to your wife (:wink:).

There is a lot of lovely green there. I think the out of focus background works well here to emphasize the foreground.

I do wish more of the background stream was visible, but realize that may have not been an option. You might try darkening the lower right corner a little to help keep the eye focused on the center of the image.

1 Like

Hey @John_Williams,

First of all thank you for the response. Yup it was a really rookie mistake ahha next time ill double check the settings.
As you said it’s was not an option to show more of that back stream, those rocks on the right continued and i was on the verge of what was possible with my tripod.
I introduced a little vigneting to darken that lower right corner, but maybe its not enough, ill try and darken a bit more.

Thanks again,
Cheers

1 Like

João,

A lovely and lush forest and stream scene. I like that you’ve kept the greens and saturation a bit more natural - at least the colors look natural to me.

If I were to suggest any tweaks, I would burn down the fern in the LRC a little more - and not just vignetting the corner, but just addressing the leaf. You might consider cropping up from the bottom a smidge just to eliminate the small bit of reddish-brown stuff in that corner. Also on the LLC is a slice of something, probably left over from the blends. The only other thing is that I think the luminosity around the center, especially the main green-covered main rock left of center, is just ever so slightly bright - probably made so visually by the vignetting around the edges. But that’s minor.

Lon

1 Like

Hi @Lon_Overacker

First things first, thanks for the feedback.
Second, how in the world have you noticed that artifact on the LLC ahaha it was due to the HDR blending. When cropping off the red leaves it cropped it too.
So i follow your’s and @John_Williams advices and here is a V2.
Burned that leaf down along with the moss on rock behind it and lowered the exposure on 1/3 to bring down that center over luminosity.
Hope you all like it i sure do like it more like this, those little details make a lot of diference.

Thanks again,
Cheers

2 Likes

João,

Outstanding job on the rework. Thanks for taking the time and considering the feedback.

Ok, well, one more thing then this will be ready for print! There’s a bright yellow/green patch, rock or something on the right edge, mid-line. Not a deal breaker, but as you improved the other minor things, this one stands out a bit more. Not a biggie, but thought I would mention.

Lon

1 Like

Well spotted @Lon_Overacker and now you mention it that leaf next to it also is a bit off. I’ll have to deal with them ahha.

Thanks Lon,
Cheers

Hi, I think the existing critiques are spot on. I just wanted to point out that – to me – the most interesting parts of this scene are near the top. If this is an area you plan on coming back to, maybe you can experiment with taking a shot a bit further up the stream, where the calm looking pool in your photo is. The pool, the mossy stones on the right and the nice mossy trees on the left might lend themselves to another great image.

Then again, maybe there isn’t a good composition up there, but it did catch my eye.

-Thorsten

Hi @Thorsten_Scheuermann,

Thanks for the feedback, indeed there’s something to explore (composition wise) on the top part, the problem is that i was on the verge of a rock and to my right (so i can frame that pond) there a lot of “spikey” vegetation :rofl: maybe with a larger focal length i can grab that composition around that same vegetation, i’ll look in to it next time i go there.

Thanks again,
Cheers