Smallm lightweight camera with good zoom

I am looking for a small camera with good zoom I can take when riding my bike, walking my dog, or playing golf. I often see wildlife when doing those things and want to get photos. I have a Nikon D500, but it is too large for some everyday things. I also have a Sony Rx100 vii, but the zoom is not very good. There are no camera stores near me - only Best Buy. Recommendations would be appreciated.

I just got a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G phone. The camera has 0.6x,1x, 2x and 10 x optical lenses, and a better digital zoom than other phones I’ve seen. Not the least expensive option, I’m sure, but you’ll always have it with you.

By the way the digital zoom is up to 100x. Hand held can be iffy at 100x, but 30x is very manageable, to me, so far.

I paid for mine outright for $800 and change. I did have a $100 trade in.

Thanks. I will check it out. May be tough to give up my iPhone, but might be the right answer. Can you adjust the aperture and ISO on it?

1 Like

Definitely can adjust the ISO in Pro Photo mode. I’m open to being corrected, but I don’t think you can adjust aperture on any phone camera, at least none I’ve heard of.

I may be wrong, but digitally zooming in any camera is no better and maybe worse than digitally zooming in editing software like Photoshop. Here is an opinion from an article I found googling the subject: The best way to use “digital zoom” is to do it in [post-processing]software. Instead of zooming in on the camera, take the photo and then crop using editing software. The benefits of this method are that you will have more control over the cropping of the image. But also your image won’t suffer by the camera adding made-up pixels into it which reduces its quality.

You also have the option of reverting back to the original crop of the image. Something that you will not be able to do if you are using a digital zoom.

1 Like