Snag with Red-breasted Sapsucker

As the title implies, this is as much or more about the old snag with it’s nest cavities as it is about the bird. For that reason (and because I didn’t want to crop outrageously), I left the bird very small in the frame. For reference, when I first spotted it, the bird was half in the lower of the two holes where you can note a casual chip out as if it’s been thinking about renovating that hole for use this year.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. I’m using a new monitor that was supposed to be calibrated at the factory and I haven’t recalibrated it yet, so if you see something screwy, let me know.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840mm, f/9, 1/320, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal original to 3817x5113. Typical processing except I used a low opacity/low flow brush to paint over brighter parts of the background with some of the browns selected from it. Taken at 8:48 AM yesterday at our local pond.

1 Like

Dennis, I love how that beautiful woodpecker is placed in his environment, showing signs of his being there with the holes in the tree. The lichen on the old dead tree adds color to it as well. On the note of color, everything looks spot on to me. I have monitor that was calibrated at the factory, and after probably 5 or 6 years now, (maybe more, I can’t remember when I bought it), the color has held it’s own, and I have not attempted to calibrate. What a nice blessing that has been.

Glad you left the Sapsuckers’ environment, Dennis. All of the holes tell a story of their own. The colors also look quite realistic on my monitor. Nicely seen and captured.

Very nice habitat shot and the sapsucker shows very good detail.

Looks good, Dennis, colors seem fine on the snag and the bird, Nice work sorting out and smoothing the background.

The birds stands out nicely, both by its color as by its pose - no need at all to crop - I love you chose to keep it this small in the frame ! Cheers , Hans

Very nice shot, Dennis, emphasizing the birds’ environment. Old snags like this tell a story of their own, for those who will read them.

Wonderful environmental and behavioral image. Good job on the color and detail.

Quite different and excellent! I love the snag and the BG – the bird is the grace note!