Red-breasted Sapsuckers

The pair is nesting in a dead madrone adjacent to our driveway. Have been a bit of a nuisance as they were drilling holes in the siding of the house. Their behavior was interesting as one would return to the nest and the other would leave on a ten to fifteen minute rotation. As soon as one showed up, the other would poke its head out and then take off. Never could quite figure out how they were communicating.

What technical feedback would you like if any? The light was terrible and I tried to keep the ISO down, hence the slow shutter speed.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Did some NR and sharpening, but not too much; nevertheless the image has an odd quality to my eye, as if it is fake or a diorama.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 244 mm; 1/200 at f5.6; ISO 500; -1/3 EV; tripod and cable release.

Pleasant setting with good behavior, well exposed color and fine detail. I heard they use Morse Code to communicate but one needs to slow it down to understand them.i have a mountain ash in my yard that they have stopped visiting because there are more holes than bark.

1 Like

They are beautiful, Allen. I can image that if they were drilling holes in your siding that you would consider that a nuisance. They are really pretty, and looks like you timed it to catch their behavior perfectly.

1 Like

Very nice behavioral image here, Allen. I know I live on a prairie, but I sure wish I’d see these more often. I think I’ve only seen one since I’ve lived here, though I see their sign often enough. The composition here is very good.

1 Like

I think this is a wonderful photo Allen, the composition, colors and detail in the birds are great. I don’t see any noise when i scroll in, could be my old laptop (or old eyes) but this look great to me.

1 Like

What a treat to see both birds! I love the colors and environment here. If I could change anything, it would be to have the birds a little higher in the frame, giving the bottom bird a bit more room. You dealt with the light really well and got great detail. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen one of these birds.

1 Like