Sneffels Afternoon Light

Due to the Covid pandemic, I have been very cautious and unwilling to travel for photography. Normally I like to post current work here at NPN, but my Covid induced photographic in-actvity and lack of travel has finally caught up with me, and I am now resigned to digging into my archives for images to post.

Here is a late afternoon view of Mt. Sneffels, taken on a fall foliage trip to southwest Colorado. The sky and clouds were not that exciting, but I liked this scene for the bands of light and shadow in the foreground valley, and the texture of the rocky sides of the mountain. I don’t usually do a lot of B&W, but I thought these aspects of the image would translate well to B&W. And for 2022, I am trying to post some different type of images from what I normally do.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

I can’t remember ever seeing Sneffels in the fall in B&W and this one looks great. Excellent drama to the scene and nice pop from the trees. Processing looks real good to my eye. You could get away with a little less sky? Good one.

Terrific scene for a black and white conversion Ed. I’m enjoying your black and whites lately. I too really like the dark and light bands of shadow and highlights. The only nit is the URC where there is a vignette triangle that stands out. I don’t notice it in the ULC. Beautiful image and a creative idea to turn a fall colors photo into a black and white.

A b&w photo of Fall colors is definitely a different approach but it does put the focus on the contrasting lighting. The details are excellent for such a grand scene, especially when viewing large. I’m normally not a big fan of b&w but I really like this shot!

Well it isn’t about fall colours, is it? It presents itself as perfect for monochrome - superb late light, which is generating a shadow and light display that would do old Ansel proud. This image has a stirring, timeless quality that, for me at least, evokes a feeling of nostalgia as well as awe.

Ed, this is a very dramatic look at Mt Sneffels and it’s surroundings. The peaks show well against the clouds and the clouds are set of nicely by the sky above. The textures in the forest are great as well. I do feel like parts in that band of shadow across the middle are too dark, (the big area touching the left edge and the big arc near the right edge).

@Harley_Goldman @Mark_Seaver @Kerry_Gordon @David_Haynes @Gary_Minish

thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this image, I appreciate hearing them.

Harley, I think you are right, this could benefit from a slight crop away of the top.

David, I think that is a vignette issue, I’ll have to play with this some to try to balance that corner out a bit better. Good pickup on your part.

Keep up the great stuff @Ed_McGuirk - love your work !

1 Like

Thank you Karl, I appreciate it.