Snow and Steam in Yellowstone w/Rework

Rework with Alex’s suggestions (and a few additional tweaks of my own…):

Thanks Alex!

Orignal post:

I posted a similar image here a while back. This one I’ve worked on over and over to get the tone right, and to show the subtle shadows from the light coming through the geyser steam. I also cropped off the top some. I like it best in B&W and added just a touch of blue tone to the B&W treatment.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated, Alex.

Technical Details

120mm, 1/550 sec @ f/16, ISO 400, handheld.

1 Like

David, this is absolutely beautiful. Such powerful minimalism, I love it and wish it was mine.

My main suggestion is to further darken some of the subtle shadows (as I’m sure you’ve already done), taking care not to overdo it, especially on the edges where they’re already dark. I took a quick stab at it with a custom luminosity mask on a curves layer below.

You could also experiment with moving the white point over, so that it doesn’t feel quite so dim.

As far as the crop, a variety could work here but this is also great as-is.

What subtle beauty! The contrast between the gentle curves and valley against the rough texture of the snow is gorgeous. It looks like a place for ghosts.

1 Like

Wow, Alex, that is the best compliment I’ve ever received. Thank you. I will look at both of your suggestions. Thanks for taking a look.

And more broadly, thank you for taking time this week to critique our images. I read every critique you make so I can learn more and I can tell you take a lot of time and care when critiquing. I can’t tell you how much we appreciate it.

Regards,
David

Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley :slightly_smiling_face:

David,

Oh my, this is outstanding! Without your description, I’m not sure I could figure out what this was - at a minimum not being about to distinguish sand, snow or any other texture or subject.

Your original is of course excellent, but must say Alex’s edit takes it to another level. Just the added texture from the contrast is amazing! The very subtle shadow play is also enhanced.

No nits or suggestions from me!

Lon

1 Like

This is a sleeper David. It’s easy to miss just how delicate and artistic it is in the thumbnail. Wonderful, and I like the rework.

1 Like