Snow Leopard

My November Mongolia trip had two main purposes: scout future tour locations, and try again for snow leopards.

Back in 2015, I went to the Himalayas in search of snow leopards, and only came away with some very distant (1-2km away) sightings. That too was a scouting trip, and beyond my failures I knew that 12-14,000 feet of elevation wouldn’t work for most clients. Mongolia offered a slightly more moderate challenge, on the surface at least. The altitude was closer to what I was accustomed to in Yellowstone, so I figured I’d have an easier time with it. Nobody told me about the lack of game trails or the skee-covered slopes…

This was the first leopard our tracking team found, and to reach it we had to scramble up one of those slippery, steep hillsides. We positioned ourselves on a small ridge line opposite from the cliffs where the cat was hanging out. Once it started moving, we had chances to photograph it at a much closer range than I’d realistically expected.

This was my favorite photo taken last year, and it just went up as a large canvas on our walls. I’ll cherish this one.

Canon R5
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
1/640th
f/6.3
ISO 800

Max

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
3 Likes

I love it. The almost monochrome image, the incredible camouflage of the cat, the habitat.
Must have been an encounter you never forget. I saw the Vincent Munier’s film about his expedition to find snow leopards, impressive.
This is an endangered, hard to find predator. Hard to say something negative about the image. It is very special that you spotted one at a not to great distance. I envy you, in spite of the difficult hike.

1 Like

Wow! The opportunity to see a snow leopard and at a range that makes it photographable is a special occasion. I can understand why this is your favorite from last year. So cool.

1 Like

Spectacular. I love the pose, camouflage, and the “stink-eye” look. Wall-hanger for sure, huh

1 Like

Jaw is dropped. OMG. I just might have to join you on a Mongolian workshop. I’ll bring my oxygen tank. LOL.

1 Like

Great subject and I just love the look he gave you ! It is always very satisfying to capture rare subjects.
I may darken the bottom RHS rock to get more focus on the leopard.

1 Like