Snow Leopard Climb

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I haven’t really shared many images from what was my most special encounter last year. This male snow leopard spent some time traversing a steep rock face about 100-200 yards away from our position during my Mongolia scouting trip.

I fully recognize that this particular image doesn’t have a traditional composition. It would probably be better suited with more space above and to the right of the cat, since there’s an obvious sense of motion and directionality here. And I do have some similar images that are composed that way. It just so happened that this frame had the cleanest overall background… which really lends itself to the display of astounding camouflage this species possesses (especially in what is more of its typical environment, rather than the clichéd snowy scenes most people envision). As a result, the cat becomes part of the cliff, and really blends into that diagonal line bisecting the frame… so I actually don’t mind the centered placement when taking this into account.

Max

Technical Details

Canon R5
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 1250
1/1000th
f/5.6

2 Likes

Hi Max, :slight_smile:

Personally, I think the central position of the leopard works very well in this case, one thing that helps to make it work so well in my view is that the tail is pointed to the LLC while the head is pointed to the URC and the angled ledge helps as well. Well composed in my opinion!

In the thumbnail, I didn’t notice the leopard but the title caught my attention so I opened it with excitement. I was not disappointed! :slight_smile:

I love the serious look on it’s face, it appears to be laser focused on it’s next moves. It’s probably not it’s first time making that ascent.

Just a truly wonderful capture, Max and I’m glad you decided to share it here with us! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is strange that we have two unusual vertical compositions, side by side, in the wildlife gallery. And both work really fine!
I just love the steep climb setting and the pose of grey ghost, as Snow leopard is often called. While sharpening, I may exclude the background to make the subject stand out better.

1 Like

A wonderful image, Max. I think the composition works fine. Since you had mentioned it I looked at maybe taking a bit off the bottom ans left, but it seaemed to get too close to that lovely crack in the rock that curves up and around the leopard. You could look at a subtle enhancement of that crack as a framing element, but the image works for me as posted.

1 Like

Hi Max! I think it’s a great composition. I love the intense look on the leopard’s face, and the strength you can see in the body. He looks like a professional rock climber! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

A terrific look at a rarely seen animal. Is that cliff as sharply vertical as it looks??? What’s he stalking that would make him want to risk climbing that? As a good photo should, it leaves the viewer to interpret this scene, and want to know more.

2 Likes

What’s he stalking that would make him want to risk climbing that?

Terry, I believe he was looking for a good place to nap. As you can see in this photo, he’s got a very full belly (our scouts found him thanks to the remains of a goat carcass he had left at the bottom of the canyon). I think the food coma was about to hit. Reportedly, he stayed in this area for another day or two, so it must’ve been a filling meal.

Awesome; thanks.

What a fantastic image! I think your composition works really well, too. The cat’s coloring fits so well with its surroundings; having it bisect the image like this works really well for me.
Seeing agile wildlife like this makes me feel like a clumsy human!!!

1 Like

This is a great shot Max, it works well for me:
The leopard at an angle in the frame emphasising the steep gradient of the rock face,
The legs & paws all seen at work to keep it on the rock and moving upwards
The tail continuing the line of the leopard through the frame
The muted colours showing how easily these animals can disappear into their surroundings

1 Like