Snow Steller's

Here’s a shot I got this morning of a backyard steller’s jay among som fresh snow. It was enjoyable getting out early before wind, and temperature messed up the look of the snow.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the contrast of the dark subject against the light background, and I like how it was caught splaying its cool looking crest. It was perched in a super busy buck brush tree so I left the background alone pretty much after taking out a bugger or two. Cropping? Subject exposure?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/200th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 900, Photo AI, cropped to 3998 x 2805

3 Likes

For me this is a winner, Dave. You did well to center the subject, rather than crop out the pretty snow on the left. At first I thought the blue feathering on the head was an artefact, but now I see it belongs as a bonus to the bird!

I love Stellar’s Jays and don’t have any photos of them so this is a treat for me. The snow and its delicacy sets the bird off very well. I like the contrast of that stillness and the potential raucousness of the bird. Love jays for their energy and style. Lovely light and colors. Can’t think of how you could have done better.

Good pose and detail and the snow lets the jay pop in the image.