Steller's Jay in a Snow Storm

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any is appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any is appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D5, Nikkor 600mm f/4.0 on a tripod.

f/ 7.1, 1/2500 sec., ISO 1000 +3.67

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Cheryl: This is a striking image IMO. You’ve captured the colors of the bird superbly and I love the flared tail feathers. Most excellent.>=))>

I like the pose with the raised foot and the spread of the tail feathers. Color and detail look spot on and the high key element works well. Nicely captured.

Great capture, Cheryl. The colors and and contrasting high key light really make this for me. Nicely done!

Oooh–this one is very nice. Blues on a cloudy day glow and you captured it very well with this exposure. I like this one as presented. Well done…Jim

Well seen pose and environment. Good job on the exposure and color balance. The dark gray and black head plumage seem a shade soft. But I like it anyway.

I love the action pose, Cheryl. The colors are wonderful. It does look as if the focus were on the body and the head looks a touch soft. You might try another round of sharpening on that part of the bird.

Beautiful image.

This high key presentation of a Steller’s Jay makes for a pretty picture and shows off colors that you don’t normally see because of their darkness. I agree that it could use some sharpening in the larger version.