Snow Steller

I continue to have “snowy photo” opportunities and here’s a pose of a rousing steller’s jay I like. It looks like it could use some hot cocoa…

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the pose, and environment of this one. Could it be better cropped? Is its partially obscured tail a problem?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/250th, f 8.0, 720mm, ISO 560, cropped to 4020 x 2841

3 Likes

That poor little guy looks cold. While the frame is a little bit messy with twigs I do like the pose of the bird and the fact that he’s all fluffed up. Yep, there sure is lots of snow in California. It’s been one heck of a winter, hasn’t it? I think the Sierra mountains are heading towards 800 inches of snow this year and we still have almost 2 months worth of snow potential. Great opportunity for more snow shots.

Hello, I think the crop and the twig in front of the tail are fine. This definitely tells the story of the snow and a cold-looking bird. The blue against the snow is striking! Stellar steller shot!

I love the blue feathers peeking through on the head. Never knew they had those under there. Jay crests are so gorgeous no matter what species. Looks cold, but probably isn’t. Feathers are incredible insulators. Super color and pose, too. Probably folks will be skiing at Mammoth all year!